• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Aca 2008

Hello,
I was wondering (Pat Kelly; since I really have only talked with you) what steps/procedures/maintenence do you do for an upcoming show? I am really interested in showing a few peacocks at the ACA 2008 and am wondering of the methods people use for fin lengthening, color, shyness, etc...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lwanda
LwandaShow69.jpg

Lwanda II
LwandaSHOW1.jpg

Albino Taiwan Reef
ALBINOSHOW1.jpg

Any suggestions on what I need to do to get these guys ready?? Any info would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
jpk

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
James,
I really have never done anything for fin length or color other than feed them well and give plenty of water changes.

About a month before a show, I take the fish out of the breeding tank and put them in a 10 gallon tank by themselves. At a show they are by themselves and sometimes this is a new experiance. Being alone for a month will also give them time to have small splits in fins heal.

After putting them in the tank, I do not feed for a couple of days. Then I only feed if they come to the front of the tank and ask for it. lol If they go to the back of the tank when I approach, I do not give them food. If they stay in the front of the tank, they get food. I hope this makes them think that all of those people passing by at the show will give them something. That way they will not try to hide.

I know that the guy that wins most of the ACA shows always gives each of his fish a 20 or 29 gallon tank to live in all the time. That way the fins have a chance to grow with out anyone nipping at them. It must work. Over the years that I have been going to conventions, he wins about 50% of the classes that he enters. Some times sweeping all of the places at the same time.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi James,

The best way to prepare fish for showing is to isolate them in their own tanks (or at least divide them). Otherwise, they'll get split fins, etc. that are inevitable in a community.

About 2 months prior to the show, I start feeding (and doing water changes) more heavily and with foods high in color enhancers (spirulina for blacks, blues, and greens) and krill for reds, oranged, and yellows. I also go heavier on live foods (earthworms, mealworms).

Peacocks, especially, like water changes. My fishroom in Sacramento had an auto-water changing system. At least three times a week I changed 20-30% of the water and once or more did a big water change with dechlored tap.

I don't feed the fish for about a week prior to the show. Hunger helps them overcome shyness and keeps the show tank clean. Another tip is to find out what kind of filter is allowed for the show, buy some, and start running them in your home tanks. You'll have aged filters for the show. I also bring local tap water and do water changes in the show tank.

I dipped my toe back into showing fish at the ACA last year after about a 15 year hiatus...and was happy to win three tropies/6 entries (a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd)...including a 2nd for my Bi-Color 500 in the very competitive peacock class.

Catching, transporting, and showing fish is stressful for the fish and owner...but it can also be a lot of fun and an opportunity to show off your fishkeeping skills.

I'm not sure I'll be able to attend ACA this year let alone show fish (my wife thinks I'm crazy), so good luck!

Matt

Pat,
Do you think that these guys have a chance at the peacock class/hap moutbrooder class? Thanks.[/b]

dogofwar

CCA Members
Your top 2 fish have a chance, but I don't think OB-type peacocks are allowed at the ACA. It all depends on the fish on that day, its condition, and deportment. Just make sure that they're BIG. Nice but small fish are at a big disadvantage, especially in a competitive class like Peacocks.

animicrazy

Members
Yea, I can see how a competitive class would be a problem;.....................

But: I only have to deal with Hans (Discus Hans), soooooooooooooooooooo............................

no problem for me !!!!!!! :lol:

The Mad Scientist

mscichlid

Founder
Yea, I can see how a competitive class would be a problem;.....................

But: I only have to deal with Hans (Discus Hans), soooooooooooooooooooo............................

no problem for me !!!!!!! :lol:

The Mad Scientist[/b]

You'll have more than Hans to compete with at the ACA, my son.