• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AB CONTEST UPDATES

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
CLASS 1 NANO TANKS (UNDER 10 GALLONS) 4 ENTRIES

CLASS 2 MEDIUM SIZE TANKS (10G TO 29 G) 5 ENTRIES

CLASS 3 LARGE TANKS (30 GALLON AND UP) TWO ENTRIES

CLASS 4 TANKS WITH CARES FISH IN THEM ZERO ENTRIES

CLASS 5 THEMED TANKS 7 ENTRIES

CLASS 6 PLANTED TANKS 5 ENTRIES

Many tanks are entered in more than one class. For instance, if you enter a nano tank and it has plants and you give it a theme, it can be entered in Class 1, class 5 and class 6.

If you give your tank a theme, the be sure to announce the theme with a title someplace on or near the tank after it is set up in the lobby. Please limit your sign to no larger than the tank. The tank is the focus not the sign.

We have no entries with CARES fish, though Victor in a different CCA FORUM thread say he plan on entering a 40 g with CARES fish in it. But we need more entries with CARES fish. And I know a lot of people in CCA are keeping CARES fish.

As for registration, email me at cowherdfg@gmail.com with your entry information or questions. AND or BUT to make it really easy, you will be able to simply bring a tank during the set up times and register it at the door. The sign up sheets for each class will be at the entry door to the lobby.

Be sure to read the rules: http://capitalcichlids.org/aquamania/?page_id=12 The notes there should also help you remember to bring all the stuff you need to set up the tank in the lobby.

And there will be awards and prizes sponsored by lots of different businesses and groups: http://capitalcichlids.org/aquamania/?page_id=45 If you want to help sponsor anything at this event, please contact us.

Becca

Members
I promised myself and my family I wasn't doing it this year. It's too much, especially given my present physical limitations... I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have a 20L, 10, 5.5 and a few 2.5 gallons that I could loan out to folks who want to set something up. I've even got some mixed flourite/natural colored gravel folks could use and I don't live that far from the venue. My only condition would be that the tanks, etc. get returned to me once BFD is over, without me having to lift anything ;-).

Termato

Board of Directors
Hey Frank,

I was able to set in stone what tanks I will be bringing to the Aquarium Beautiful contest. Here they are:

- 1.6 Gallon Glass Themed Bowl
- 2.5 Gallon Planted Bowl
- 29 Gallon Amazon Themed Planted Tank (used to be a 20G but I have to use the 29G)
- 40 Gallon <-- this would hold the C.A.R.E.S. fish otherwise it will be something else.

I'm still trying to work out if I will be able to get C.A.R.E.S. fish in time to set up the tank. I was going to order Cryptoheros myrnae or nanoluteus but Jeff Rapps looks to be sold out. I should have ordered before but I wasn't ready to commit yet. I think Matt has some wild caught myrnae that are breeding so I'll have to talk to him and see about that. I do want to, I just have to get everything straightened away first.

I'm highly interested in keeping C.A.R.E.S. south american dwarf to 5-6" cichlids above all else but they are hard to find (from what I've looked so far).

Update: After I wrote this, I thought about it a little bit more about which fish and why. The myrnae appears to have been mixed and cross bred. We've seen this by the differences in the fish Matt is keeping. He has a wild caught pair and a captive bred single male and they look COMPLETELY different. I think this may be a great opportunity to help repopulate and maintain this species integrity. I've reached out to Matt and I'll see if I can get a pair of those wild caught offspring.

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
It may also come down to my current budget for fish. With the upgrades to my fish room (buildings racks, more tanks, more fish, etc.) I am coming close to the end of my budget. Depending on all of those variables, the stocking for the 40G may vary. This is only due to the long term running costs of setting up more breeding and growing tanks. There is a lot to consider and more number crunching to do so we'll see! :) I'm excited.

Termato

Board of Directors
It looks like Matt has been planning on donating a group to the rare fish auction (which is wonderful). Unless I come across something in the next week I don't think I'll be able to do a C.A.R.E.S tank for the BFD.

Forester

Members
I have some CARES goodeids that you can borrow if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mchambers

Former CCA member
Frank, can the tank include one or more non-CARES species, as long as there is at least one CARES species?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Yes, as long as there is at least one CARES fish in the tank it qualifies.

Of course, the motivation of the CARES class is to highlight the different beautiful and interesting CARES species and encourage/entice others to keep and breed and distribute these CARES species.

Termato

Board of Directors
I just got home from Colorado yesterday and I honestly couldn't have hoped for something better to have happened. When Josh posted his GIANT LIST, which is seriously enormous and so hard to hesitate all those fish...BUT I found these little guys:
Lipochromis sp. ‘matumbi hunter’ (03/09) CEW (8)

Extinct in the Wild African Cichlid from Lake Victoria that grows to be about 5". I've ordered 8 of these fish and will have a 75G for all 8 of them to co-exist at home (until they start pairing off). For the BFD, I will keep them in the 40G tank. I'm going to be doing a lot of research on these guys so if anyone has kept them or knows a lot about them I would love to hear more.

I'm going to be entering this 40G tank into the C.A.R.E.S. category and themed species tank with just the hunters.

I just can't pass up a chance to keep a CEW fish and try to breed it the best I can. Thanks everyone, especially Lucas for the great offer! :)

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Victor, Great, you are registered for the CARES class and hopefully you will not be the only one entered in that class. I expect there will be more signed up at the door on Friday or Saturday with CARES fish in them. When you set up your CARES tank which you said would also be in the themed class, please list the title of the theme on the sign up sheets. You should also tape or write with magic marker the theme title to your tank so everyone will know the theme.

JLW

CCA Members
Frank, in addition to the tank we talked about (which will also be themed and cares), I'll be entering a nano CARES and medium themed cares.

All the tanks will also be planted. :)

Termato

Board of Directors
Frank, in addition to the tank we talked about (which will also be themed and cares), I'll be entering a nano CARES and medium themed cares.

:angel2: YESSS!! Can't wait to see these.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President

Make sure the freshwater lionfish makes another appearance.