• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

70 gallon metal stand bowing?

So I've got a 70 gallon metal stand that I've been using as a tank rack. It's loaded with a 30 gal, 20 gal tall, 25 gal, and a 10 gallon on the top, siting sideways. Its been holding these tanks fine since October, but I recently noticed it's bowing a bit in the center (maybe 1-3 cm difference).

I was going to remove the 25 gal and put a 10 gal there instead to reduce weight back down to what a 70 gal in total would weigh.

Anyone ever had a bowing stand? How did you handle it?

Is this stand already irreparablely damaged? Or will relieving some weight be enough? Also are there any ways to reinforce the top of the stand?

I've included a picture of the stand for you guys to see how I've got it set up. It's really just the top with the 4 tanks sideways that I'm worried about.
20161219_231018.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Plywood (3/4 or better) would help spread the load across the stand, but it would also add some weight. You could also reinforce, but that would mean moving some tanks off in order to access it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Absolutely. Having tanks across it is the issue. Plywood or better ply + 1 by or 2 by wood underneath would be better...

Matt
Plywood (3/4 or better) would help spread the load across the stand, but it would also add some weight. You could also reinforce, but that would mean moving some tanks off in order to access it.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Ben, I have the tools to do this, we just need measurements and wood. I would be happy to show you how.

Sounds good. Are we confident that this would solve the problem though?

I don't mind moving the tanks to get this done, but i wouldn't want to move the tanks, set up this fix, and then still be worried about the stability of the set up.

Would be just as easy to make a stand with concrete blocks and 2x4s :)

Oh? Do tell? It doesn't have to be pretty, just symmetrical, cheap, and reliable. Do you have a design in mind or a DIY website youd recommend?

If it could hold all those tanks, or even more, i'd be interested.

Basically just stack 6" concrete blocks and 2x4s. It's how my fishroom is put together!

Matt

Those 2"by 4"s, side by side, provide enough support to hold, a 30 gall, 20, gal, 25 gal, and a 10 gal? Could it hold more even, like an additional 37 gal, or more 20 longs?

Could you post a pick of your set up?

Thanks!

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can get the idea here (handy photo from 2 fish rooms ago)... I have 150G tanks on concrete blocks and 2x4s...

Those 2"by 4"s, side by side, provide enough support to hold, a 30 gall, 20, gal, 25 gal, and a 10 gal? Could it hold more even, like an additional 37 gal, or more 20 longs?

Could you post a pick of your set up?

Thanks!

Matthew and Siena in the Fishroom.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
We can do this too. I personally would use 2x6s or a piece of thick plywood, but the general idea is the same.

The girlfriend is a little uncomfortable with the cinder block option, even though i think its a great and cheap idea.

Is reinforcing the current stand with 2x4"s still an option? Or does the fact that the stand has already bowed mean its dead to the world?

With this 2x4" or plywood option, will i be able to maintain the tanks in the sideways fashion they already are currently sitting in?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yeah. What I would do is cut the plywood to fit overtop of the existing stand and then reinforce the plywood and old stand with 2x4s. We can drill the metal stand and put bolts through the wood and metal, giving it more strength where it is needed.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Ben, I would be really uncomfortable with using the metal stand in the manner you have it. The metal stand is designed to support the weight around the perimeter, and your setup has significant weight in the center. Installing 2x4 or 2x6 would only be useful if laid lengthwise across the stand, and even that might still bow in the center. I would recommend a different shelving setup.

FishEggs

You can also configure the edsal shelf system like this.
035441186563_04966050.jpg

For $85 i think it is the best solution for not much money. Maybe you can sell the other stands to recoup some cost.

You can also configure the edsal shelf system like this.
035441186563_04966050.jpg

For $85 i think it is the best solution for not much money. Maybe you can sell the other stands to recoup some cost.

I like this idea, but i'm a little worried about the holding strength of the shelves. I want to put fairly big tanks on there, and a lot of them, 30 gallon, 37 gallon, 25 gallon, a bunch of 20s... you think it will hold that? Could that rack hold the tanks sideways like i'm doing now?

Is there a cheap and reliable way to reinforce those shelves?

Thanks!

FishEggs

The unit i linked to has a rating of 800 lbs per shelf. For $100 they have some rated at 1,000 lbs per shelf. As to the bowing due to putting the tanks side ways i have no experience in that respect. I only have the 3ft wide one for a 50g breeder. Some others might be able to chime in on their sturdiness in that way. The first way i would reinforce them is to put 1 or 2 cross braces under the center of the shelf. A piece of 2x3 would work well for that. I actually have some scrap 2x4 you can have for that if you go that route.

The unit i linked to has a rating of 800 lbs per shelf. For $100 they have some rated at 1,000 lbs per shelf. As to the bowing due to putting the tanks side ways i have no experience in that respect. I only have the 3ft wide one for a 50g breeder. Some others might be able to chime in on their sturdiness in that way. The first way i would reinforce them is to put 1 or 2 cross braces under the center of the shelf. A piece of 2x3 would work well for that. I actually have some scrap 2x4 you can have for that if you go that route.

I know they are rated for 800 lbs per shelf, but being rated for that, and actually doing it are two different things. I looked at the reviews of the product on lowes website, here's an excerpt from the first one:

"These shelves are rated at Maximum Pounds Per Shelf (lbs.) 800.0 according to the specifications. There is no way you can load a third of that weight on these shelves. On one shelf I have six 12 pack cases of soda and the shelf board is sagging. This is the same with most ot the other shelving. I do not have anything close to 100lbs on any of the shelves and they are all starting to sag. Another problem is the shelves I do have stuff that is a little heavy, the metal side rails start to bow outward and I'm worried these will colapse soon. I have moved items that are sort of heavy down on the very bottom to prevent a major collapse."

Almost all of the reviews say the same thing, the shelving included can't cut it for heavy weights.

You say you've got a 50 gallon breeder on one of the racks? Thats a little promising. I've got quite a few tanks i need to put on this though. Not sure i know what you mean by a cross brace under the center of the shelf... Do you mean setting up 2x4's along the shelves, essentially reinforcing the shelving already provided?

FishEggs

I know other members have used the edsal shelves for tank racks. i just don't know exactly which model or exactly how it was used. The one i'm using is the 3 foot wide model which fits the 40 and 50 gallon breeder tanks perfectly so all the weight is on the perimeter of the shelf. Holds the weight just fine but the span is less and it is less weight.
By cross brace i mean put a 2x from the front rail to the back rail so it can't bow or deform from weight. It would look like a ladder laying down without the plywood on top.
Or you could just build it all out of 2x4s like Christine did here https://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/threads/more-fishroom-racks.27923/