• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

55 glass or stock tank

captmicha

Members
I have a pair of rainbows and four Guianacra stergiosi I keep together. Quarantine is up.

Which would be better? A planted 55 gallon inside, or a 75(ish) stock tank on my porch for the summer? No heater, but I'd run a filter. Plants and stuff included.

They like pretty warm weather, as you guys are aware, but these dips in temperature are questionable.

The stock tank would be while I'm hopefully setting up my fish room.

captmicha

Members
It's pretty shady on there. The Guinacara aren't full grown yet. Do you guys think that the 55 will be okay for a bit? I was thinking of setting it up tomorrow. Also I like heavy planted tanks, so that might help.

I was thinking I'd keep both these species together. Especially now so that they hopefully don't start fighting all of a sudden, like if I had to reintroduce them later on.

I'm not into breeding really common species. They are, right?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, the 55 will be fine, assuming that you bought the Guianacara I put in last month's auction. They were in a 15 gallon before the auction. Longer term, when they are fully grown, it might be pretty tense, if both they and the rainbows are spawning, but that's a ways off.

The rainbow cichlids are somewhat common, although from time to time you'll hear of someone desparately looking for some. (Some professor in the Midwest asked me to ship him some a few years back.) The Guianacara are not very common, although several folks in the club seem to have them right now.

Becca

Members
Guianacara should be fine outside, for now. I didn't ever heat my tanks with them until it hit November.

Unless you have something bigger than a 55, you'll likely end up with 2 Guianacara eventually. They aren't monstrously aggressive, but the dominant pair (if there is one) will stress the weaker fish to death over the course of a few years.

captmicha

Members
Yes, the 55 will be fine, assuming that you bought the Guianacara I put in last month's auction. They were in a 15 gallon before the auction. Longer term, when they are fully grown, it might be pretty tense, if both they and the rainbows are spawning, but that's a ways off.

The rainbow cichlids are somewhat common, although from time to time you'll hear of someone desparately looking for some. (Some professor in the Midwest asked me to ship him some a few years back.) The Guianacara are not very common, although several folks in the club seem to have them right now.
Oh great! I wanted to ask you if you feed glass shrimp. I found something that looks like one in the bag, but I'm not sure. I named it Tom.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Tom must be a not very red Red Cherry Shrimp. I have them in most of my tanks, if the other inhabitants don't eat them.

captmicha

Members
Guianacara should be fine outside, for now. I didn't ever heat my tanks with them until it hit November.

Unless you have something bigger than a 55, you'll likely end up with 2 Guianacara eventually. They aren't monstrously aggressive, but the dominant pair (if there is one) will stress the weaker fish to death over the course of a few years.
Will this also happen in a larger tank too? I always provide a lot of cover. What if I end up with a larger group and other cichlids that mesh well?

I'm thinking a community cichlid tank so everyone's bullying everyone at some point. I'd rather not have multiple large tanks per every pair. I think I might have two pairs. But they're still small.

I was also hoping for some prolific breeders for feed fry. I think my mosquito fish are too gentle and also too piggy to go in with them. I NEVER see fry because I'm pretty sure they cannibalize all of them every. single. time. I'd rather not have to seperate them each time for delivery to get some survivors.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Will this also happen in a larger tank too? I always provide a lot of cover. What if I end up with a larger group and other cichlids that mesh well?

I'm thinking a community cichlid tank so everyone's bullying everyone at some point. I'd rather not have multiple large tanks per every pair. I think I might have two pairs. But they're still small.
It depends a lot on the species and the particular fish, as well as the size of the tank, so it's hard to generalize.

Becca

Members

I was also hoping for some prolific breeders for feed fry. I think my mosquito fish are too gentle and also too piggy to go in with them. I NEVER see fry because I'm pretty sure they cannibalize all of them every. single. time. I'd rather not have to seperate them each time for delivery to get some survivors.

Let me look into my crystal ball... Damn, dropped it. What Matt said.

captmicha

Members
It depends a lot on the species and the particular fish, as well as the size of the tank, so it's hard to generalize.
I'm really brand new to these kinds of social dynamics in fish. I've only ever kept smaller, peaceful cichlids. None of my non-cichlids have been constantly aggressive towards the others.

Reading stuff online is a lot different than experiencing it IRL, so sorry Becca if this is bothering you, but replying isn't mandatory. I don't see the need for sarcasm to a complete stranger on an optional topic.