• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

4 Leaf Star Plant and Jungle Vals

abcdefghi

Members
I have a ton of Pogostemon quadrifolius, commonly known as four leaf star plant as well as a bunch of Jungle Vals that I need to thin out. Both of these are slowly (actually, rather quickly) taking over my 125G and I would like to cut them back some. Unfortunately, I do have snails, so you may want to dip the plants if you don't want hitchhikers! The 4 leaf star plant can be seen in the middle here, the vals on the right side of the tank. This pic is a couple months old, there are a lot more vals now.

Would prefer to trade for some Java Fern, Amazon Sword or similar. Otherwise, it is a make a donation type of thing and grab a handful! Located near Front Royal.

20170505_115241.jpg

So you have inert substrate. Do you use CO2 injection and heavy dosing?

What's wrong with snail. I love them to help break down dead plant debris.

abcdefghi

Members
No Co2 and minimal dosing, as in I dose Excel when I remember and use root tabs every few months.

Nothing inherently wrong with the snails, I would just prefer to not have them. Especially as they constantly breed.

Interesting that Vals thrive in your Excel dosed tank. It's well known that Vals are sensitive to Excel. What dosage have you been adminstrating.

Snail population can easily be controlled by cichlid larger than dwarf size. I have to keep replenishing snails in my cichlid planted tank, which help to keep plant and ornamental surfaces clean and accelerate mineralization of organic matter.

abcdefghi

Members
I would love to tell you how much I dose, but, I really pay no attention to it. I will say that it is likely minimal dosing considering the tank size and how frequently I dose. They really thrive though, I gave away a handful to a friend a few weeks back and already have runners through the tank.

The largest cichlid I have is an angel, the others are all dwarf (Apistogramma Trifasciata and Apistogramma Tefe) so not interested in the snails. I used to have a 29G with a Figure 8 Puffer, one of my favorite fish I have ever had, you could drop a snail in at the top of the tank, he would zip out and shell would fly everywhere. Sadly one day he died, was fine in the morning, dead in the afternoon.

abcdefghi

Members
Do you come to the meetings? Would you consider bringing some?

I don't go to the meetings, never really have time. I also just threw out a huge amount of this a few days ago, was getting no real interest and was fed up with it taking over the tank. I am sure in a few weeks I will have a bunch more though.

captmicha

Members
I don't go to the meetings, never really have time. I also just threw out a huge amount of this a few days ago, was getting no real interest and was fed up with it taking over the tank. I am sure in a few weeks I will have a bunch more though.

K, I'll look for future postings. I need a lot of plants for the fish room I'm setting up.

FishEggs

I have lots of ludwigia growing emersed.
20170830_173909.jpg
The big green bunch to the left. Some of it has also flowered.
20170922_172234.jpg

abcdefghi

Members
What grain size is the Black diamond sand blasting sand? Do plants take root in to?

The stuff I am using is medium, it comes in 3 different sizes I believe. It's not as fine as play sand, but nowhere near as large a grain size as turface. The plants seem to be taking root fine, certainly no issues with crypts, vals, wisteria and stem plants. I do want to great some Amazon swords, so those should also be a good test.

Yes, it's completely safe to use. There are many threads detailing using it, I read several before deciding to give it a try.

captmicha

Members
The stuff I am using is medium, it comes in 3 different sizes I believe. It's not as fine as play sand, but nowhere near as large a grain size as turface. The plants seem to be taking root fine, certainly no issues with crypts, vals, wisteria and stem plants. I do want to great some Amazon swords, so those should also be a good test.

Yes, it's completely safe to use. There are many threads detailing using it, I read several before deciding to give it a try.
Thanks!