• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125g Stocking Help

Greetings all!

I've been out of the hobby for about 8-9 years and jumping back in head first with a 125g (3 aq110 for filtration) but I'm having a really hard time getting a stocking list going. As much as I'd love to throw one big angry aggressive cichlid (dovii) in there I think my spouse would disapprove of me stealing 6' of her living room for one fish.

I'm thinking of some sort of cichlid community tank with plants, drift wood and gravel bottom. I'm not to keen on Africans, but any and all suggetions welcome.

Also anyone use any of the products that speed up cycling or is the old 3 week cycle still the only tried and true method.

Becca

Members
You're welcome to come do a tank tour if you want ideas... I'm sure plenty of members would be happy to show you their set-ups.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm in Randallstown, so decently close, but I only have a few tanks worth looking at. I have some AC110's running on my big tanks though, I could swap a dirty sponge for a clean one and you'd have a near instant cycle.

That would be awesome. I'm going to hopefully get substrate and water in it this weekend. I'll pm ya to coordinate after that.

stany

CCA Members
With a 125 you have a plethora of options (love using plethora in a sentence). Whether you are looking to breed or just display you have come to the right place. The folks here crazy smart on keeping fish. I've learned a ton form them on plants and cichlid keeping since I started a tank 3 years ago, but have had a non-cichlid community tank for many more years. Your tap water parameters may drive your choices as a Reverse Osmosis unit may be an additional cost consideration.

I've been thinking and doing some shopping. I'm leaming towards rams and a large mix of tetras. Not sure on numbers yet since I've never kept rams but from what I've read they don't need a ton of space so maybe a few with 40-50 small tetras.

Tested my water with kits I have on hand. Here's what I've got to work with.

PH 7.8
Po4 1.0
Kh 75ppm
Copper 0

Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are all zero cause the tank has no livestock. Gh was long expired and never changed colors.

Becca

Members
Go with Bolivian rams. Much hardier than any of the others and don't need the tank super warm.

stany

CCA Members
I keep Bolivians and had GBR's in the past. 7.8 ph is a little high but they could adjust. My experience is each male will try to defend 12-18" of the bottom and you need at least one female for each male but no guarantee they will pair up nicely. I would get six juveniles and hope you don't get more than 3 males. They are fun to watch. My current rams are with 12 Beckford pencilfish, 15 cardinal tetras and 12 white shirt tetras.