• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125G - Community Tank Stock Idea's

abcdefghi

Members
This weekend I will be picking up a 125G tank as an upgrade over my current 55G. While all my current fish will move over to the new tank, ultimately I will have an additional 70G of space to play with. While I have some idea's of what I may do, it is always nice to get other suggestions. This is what I have so far and will be staying:

1 x angel (juvenile, about 1.5" body size)
~15 tetras - a surviving black neon, glow light tetras and bleeding heart
10 x corydoras
2 x BN pleco
1-3 x kuhli loaches (survivors from a larger group I had)

I don't want to add to anything bottom dwelling since the corys, plecos and loaches. But am open to anything, I have had multiple angels in the past but the breeding / aggression that comes with it is not something I am sure I want to deal with again.

Tank is planted, has a couple large pieces of driftwood. Substrate is up in the air at the moment, I have turface in the 55G and like the look of it. But, may switch to play sand in the 125G. So, pretty open really as to what can go in the new tank.

Thanks.

Becca

Members
I have this great group of 5 Creniacara punctulatum I'd been trying to sell, but was only moderately motivated because they will be difficult to catch.

Check them out and if they might float your boat, or sink your ship, or whatever... let me know and we can talk about cost/logistics. They would come with a free group of a few neon and glowlight tetras (long story).

Even if you're not interested in mine, check them out, they'd be nice fish for a tank that size and could be easily kept with some larger peaceful cichlids that are more "top swimming," like some nice big angels or something.

zendog

I have found Electric Blue Acara to be very easy to keep, quite peaceful and "friendly." They are always ready to greet you when you approach the tank and swim back and forth begging for food. I've heard someone describe them as little blue oscars, which is probably a reasonable description. I also just saw that someone has listed a pair of Guianacara stergiosi in the auction listing for the meeting, which would probably be another good option given what you already have in the tank and they are a "natural" fish, not line bred like the Acaras, if you prefer that. I don't think either of these would trouble your tetras, but you probably have to watch that, particularly that one neon.

There are also some great smaller West African cichlids that could work with that mix.

If I had a big community tank like that, I'd also consider adding a nice big group of hatchets to fill in at the top and I always think a nice group of 6 or more (maybe a dozen even) glass cats go great in a community tank, especially in a planted aquarium. They school and stay in the mid water. For a schooling cat that will venture into the mid-water and is active during the day, I also like the little shadow cats (aka yellow spotted pygmy cat or more officially Hyalobagrus Flavus).

Becca

Members
+1 on Hyalobagrus and the Glass cats. We had a school of 17 glass cats in a planted aquarium for a long while and it was awesome. Sadly, they're reaching the end of their natural lifespan, so our school has shrunk a lot.

abcdefghi

Members
So currently thinking of adding a mix of keyhole cichlids, rainbow cichlids, Bolivian rams and possibly festivums. Just trying to figure out if those would all work and how many of each.

abcdefghi

Members
Got the tank set up today, it does not look great yet. But they never do when first set up with plants floating up and the general mess from seeing up a new tank.

Fish moved over from my 55G, all looking annoyed with me. Hope they settle in overnight. The plan is likely going to be angels with a few tetras and Cory's.

20170115_170926.jpg

20170115_171229.jpg

20170115_171213.jpg

abcdefghi

Members
If all goes well overnight will start trying to track down some local Angels tomorrow. I want to get some more before the one I have gets much bigger

dogofwar

CCA Members
You should have come to the meeting yesterday. Some wonderful local angels in the auction. And I'd bet each bag went for less than you'd pay for one on the open market.

Matt

If all goes well overnight will start trying to track down some local Angels tomorrow. I want to get some more before the one I have gets much bigger

abcdefghi

Members
I have no doubt you are right, but for me to get to the meeting location is a 4 hour round trip so it's difficult to actually make it out with my schedule currently.

FishEggs

What is local for you? There might be someone around who has them available but didn't want to put them in the auction. Frank Cowherd has some nice stock that he sells. Josh from Batfish can usually get you what you want.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a 45 gallon tank with rainbow cichlids, bolivian rams, angels and a festivum. Other than the rainbows now constantly breeding and clearing one side of the tank, all get along nicely. In the past, I've also had kribensis and apitogrammas in that tank.

abcdefghi

Members
Added to my cory numbers today, picked up I believe around 30 from a friend/local breeder. They are fairly small at the moment, but was already very awesome watching a big group of them in the tank. Think I have about 40 now, 2 albino and the rest CW010 laser.

Also added a giant anubias plant that looks really neat. Will grab an updated picture soon.

YSS

Members
Victor has several bosemanis for sale. A school of bosemanis would look great in your tank.

abcdefghi

Members
Quick updated picture, added a 2nd filter today along with a new LED light fixture. I have no idea why my phone camera distorts images the way it does, really strange and somewhat annoying.

20170127_164922.jpg

May be a little late here, but I noticed you were adding some Kuhli Loaches. These are great fish, with a very low bioload, but it really is the more the merrier with these guys! They get a lot more active when they can pal around with their own kind. I just obtained a whole pile of them (17 little guys!) that will eventually be incorporated into my 55 gallon community tank once they pass through my quarantine protocols.

abcdefghi

Members
Sorry, maybe I was not clear. I just have the 1 remaining survivor from a group I had in my 55G (I think I had 25 at one time). They were definitely very active, however, I have no plans to add to this one but am just going to let him live out his days. He is surprisingly still very active and out and about, especially when it comes to feeding time.