• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

125 Gallon Setup

mscichlid

Founder
I plan on setting up my 125. The tank will house 10 altums and 20 cardinals. I may add a group of six corys and pair of 4" bristlenose.

Do you think 2 Aquaclear 500s would be enough filtration or should I add a canister filter as well? I thought about a sump, but I don't want to have to bend over or get on the floor to service it.

The tank will be planted with a few of the plants indigenous of SA and I will be running C02.

Any thoughts?

T

Thinkfaster

I think it depends on how much you feed. ;) Also are you thinking about driftwood, etc.? The number and type of plants also can make a difference. Although I am not nearly an expert, I would still have a canister to ensure good biological filtration...you may still have to get down to mess with it though. Also, it makes adding an in-line CO2 diffusor easy, and you'll want that with the surface agitation you'll get from the Aquaclears. I am interested to hear how it turns out for you, b/c I am setting up my 125 as a LG SA/CA cichlid tank with Dempseys and Festaes amd plan on using a Tetratec 500, Aquaclear 400 or MArineland/Penguin 400, and a Lg Eheim Ecco, or the Med/lg old Eheim (classic) cannister). I am going to plumb some fittings to the Tetratec and Cannister to spread out the return flow. I am also thinking about having a power head at gravel level which will allow me to turn it on periodically to flush up some settlement on the gravel.

Ask and ye shall receive more than ye wanted.

mscichlid

Founder
Originally posted by Thinkfaster@Nov 18 2005, 10:29 PM
I think it depends on how much you feed. ;) Also are you thinking about driftwood, etc.? The number and type of plants also can make a difference.
:D Archie,
I will be using driftwood and hope to heavily plant the tank. I was thinking of using this to disperse my C02. What do you think?

"CO2 Accessories : Co2 Reactor 200 With Rio Pump (For Large Aquariums)(for compressed tank Co2 systems)on sale: reg 49.99)
The fluidized gas bed is up to 100 times more efficient than passive reactors. Serves any sized tank up to 200 gallons+. Super easy set up, no connection needed to existing filters, just attach the CO2 line and plug it in. Maintenance and cleaning is a snap without connections to existing filters. Smooth, even 2 dia. discharge flow keeps more CO2 in suspension for longer. Night Spikes are easily controlled using an inexpensive plug in timer. Rugged heavy duty construction, Chamber guaranteed 1 year against defects in material and workmanship, Pump guaranteed for six months by Rio. The robust device comes equipped with heavy-duty suction cups for secure mounting w/in the aquarium above the substrate."

:unsure: Ron, I like the idea of the sand filter for biological filtration, but I don't know anything about them. Can you elaborate? Does it hang on the tank, like in the back?

C02 reactor:

T

Thinkfaster

I've seen similar things done via DIY using a gravel vac tube, a powerhead, and a sponge. I haven't used one personally, so I can't say anything from experience. I try to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible, but this doesn't seem to be any more unsightly than a heater or canister intakes.

mscichlid

Founder
Do you know how to make one? If you do post it in the DIY section. I'd rather go DIY than buy on some things. :lol:

T

Thinkfaster

I haven't forgotten about you, but my dad took my camera with him to the midwest so I can't really post pics which I think would be pretty helpful for DIY. I guess I could always draw a picture.

Cristy

Members
Ghazanfar's CO2 reactor design: http://www.gwapa.org/articles/inline_co2_reactor/

Very easy to put together once you have all the parts. He claims 100% dissolution. Let me know if you want to make one, I'll split the pvc with you (you have to buy a long piece). I've had one on a tank for over a year and am very happy with it.

As for filtration, another thing to consider is plant growth rate. If you have a tank full of quickly growing plants they will compete with nitrifying bacteria for ammonia. Plants much prefer ammonium to nitrate. Even without bio-filtration you're unlikely to ever see any ammonia or nitrates in a fast-growing planted tank unless you purposely dose or very heavily stock or overfeed fish.

On the other hand, if you're only stocking slow growing plants in a lower-light environment the plants will not have nearly the same effect. But since you're planning to inject CO2, I assume you're going for the fast growth rate type plants.

I bought a sand filter in the last pvas auction if you're interested in seeing one. In fact, I'm not sure if I'll use it so you might talk me into selling if you really want one. B)

mscichlid

Founder
Thanks for the link, Cristy. All the low light plants I bought are going in a 29 gal per your suggestion. I may use DIY Co2 for that tank just to see if will accelerate the plant growth.

On the 125 I was trying to avoid using an Eheim (cost prohibitive) or a Magnum 350 because it would be cumbersome for me to service the pump under the tank.

However, I haven't exactly ruled it out since I'll have the pressurized tank under there anyway.

The sand filter...hmmm....we can talk about that!

T

Thinkfaster

Personally, I use Ghaz's diffusor too. It's great for a cannister (apart from the potential airlocks, but that seems to be more of an operator error than anything else). As for the design using the powerhead, I can show you what i've seen at Ron's.

T

Thinkfaster

Also, which plants of "indigenous" SA plants are planning on having? I am assuming swords, but anything else?

mscichlid

Founder
Any of the following plants will do...except the Riccia.

Alternanthera reineckii ''lilacina'' ('Purple')

Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' ('Pink')

Bacopa australis

Bacopa monnieri

Cabomba caroliniana

Cabomba furcáta (C. piauhyensis)

Ceratophyllum demersum

Ceratophyllum demersum ''Foxtail''

Ceratopteris cornuta

Ceratopteris thalictroides

Echinodorus 'Aquartica'

Echinodorus 'Ozelot'

Echinodorus 'Ozelot' (Green)

Echinodorus 'Red Diamond'

Echinodorus 'Rosé'

Echinodorus 'Rubin'

Echinodorus 'Rubin' (Narrow leaves)

Echinodorus angustifolius

Echinodorus bleheri

Echinodorus cordifolius ''ovalis''

Echinodorus cordifolius ssp. fluitans

Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen'

Echinodorus grandiflorus

Echinodorus grandiflorus ssp. aureus

Echinodorus macrophyllus

Echinodorus martii (maior)

Echinodorus 'Oriental'

Echinodorus osiris

Echinodorus palaefolius var. latifolius

Echinodorus parviflorus (''peruensis'')

Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica'

Echinodorus quadricostatus var. ''magdalenensis''

Echinodorus schlueteri

Echinodorus schlueteri 'Leopard'

Echinodorus subalatus

Echinodorus uruguayensis

Echinodorus x barthii

Egeria densa

Eichhornia crassipes

Eichhornia diversifolia

Eleocharis acicularis

Eleocharis ''parvula''

Gymnocoronis spilanthoides

Hemianthus callitrichoides ''Cuba''

Heteranthera zosterifolia

Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Hydrocotyle verticillata

Hygrophila guianensis

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

Lilaeopsis macloviana

Limnobium laevigatum

Ludwigia helminthorrhiza

Ludwigia inclinata

Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata (''Cuba'')

Micranthemum umbrosum

Myriophyllum aquaticum (Green)

Phyllanthus fluitans

Pistia stratiotes

Proserpinaca palustris ''Cuba''

Riccia fluitans

Riccia sp. ''Dwarf''

Sagittaria subulata

Spathiphyllum wallisii

Tonina fluviatilis

Vesicularia sp. ''Christmas''

Cristy

Members
I have the following:

Alternanthera reineckii
Bacopa australis
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Eleocharis acicularis (also found locally)
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

T

Thinkfaster

I have Ceratophyllum demersum ''Foxtail'', Heteranthera zosterifolia, and some dwarf sag, i could bring...not sure if this should be moved to the buy sell trade folder.