• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

API Test kit and color blindness

captmicha

Members
So I'm not fully colorblind, but I am enough of it to make it impossible for me to tell the results on certain results.

Like ammonia, which is pretty important.

I already follow the instructions, use bright lights, white paper background, etc.

Any recommendations?

JLW

CCA Members
A lot of those tests use really hard to differentiate scales, you're not alone. The nice thing is that for many of them, the numbers aren't really important. Does it really matter if you have 1 mg/L ammonia or 2 mg/L? Either way, if it isn't 0, it's a problem.

You might want to look into the Hanna line of checkers (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aqua...hanna-checker/fresh-water-hanna-checkers.html). You get a fast result in numbers, which is very handy.

Most of the testers are about $50, which is a lot, I know, but the refills and tests themselves aren't that expensive -- they're comparable or cheaper than most others. So, it's a good sized initial investment, but they last forever, and you'll get better results.

Epic2112

Members
I'm colorblind (Deuteranomalous), and I have a pair of enchromas. My solution is to ask my wife to help read the test strips. Enchromas are great, in bright sun, outside. It really takes a lot of light for them to do their thing. Also, the way they work is to shift the light spectrum around such that the differences in colors is more significant. That may or may not mess up your reading of the tests anyway. They also only work for certain types of colorblindness, and results vary person-to-person. The best solution is definitely to ask someone with color-normal vision, IMO.