• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

German Blue Rams - water parameters

Kenny88

I'm getting mixed feedback from so many sources on the PH and dGH range for German Blue Rams - I'm hoping that someone here can provide me with an 'official' answer as to what the best water parameters are for these cichlids.

Thanks

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If you're not keeping Wild Caught, there is no official answer. Different things work for different people, or the fish adapt to what people used, your best bet is to try and imitate the water parameters of the people who originally raised them.

Kenny88

Thanks for the information. I'll have to try an reach out and determine where the source of my Rams are from. I think wild caught would be rare - given that where I picked mine up they were all very small juveniles and likely from a local breeder.

FishEggs

I would definitely reach out to Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd and ask him what parameters he has/uses for his.

JLW

CCA Members
There's no such thing as wild german blue rams -- that's like finding a wild pomeranian. The wild ram is a different colour morph. But, that's probably a good thing: wild rams are pretty delicate.

Keeping them will really depend on your goals. Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is the more sensitive of the genus, but especially good quality captive raised fish, they're generally pretty hardy. If you want to breed them, you'll have to provide soft, acidic water, or the eggs are unlikely to hatch. If you're just interested in keeping them, anything should be fine, provided its not a big shock from where they came from, and you keep the temperature up.

If they came from Frank, which it sounds like they did, they're in Southern MD water. That's fairly soft and acidic. I don't know where you are, but lately that water has spread progressively north thanks to all the rain we get nowadays. Here in Silver Spring, the water is soft and neutralish, but goes acid in the aquarium.