• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Questions about Rams

I am thinking about doing a tank of rams, but I have a few questions.

1) Will different Ram types cross breed?

2) How territorial are they?

3) General water conditions?

4) Are they easy to sex?

5) Anything else unique about them?

stany

CCA Members
I've kept German Blue Rams and currently have Bolivian Butterfly Rams in a community tank. Being Central American Cichlids mine do well in ph around 7.0 and I keep very good water quality with 20% water changes every 2 weeks and over filter. I have a 50 gallon tank that I can keep 2 males with 1-3 females each. One male will become dominate and claimed one side of the tank. The sub dominate male will stay on the other side of the tank (or get chased back there) with whatever female(s) goes to him or is chased back by the preferred female of the dominate male. Kind of fun to watch. They are territorial when a pair is established but I found they do more chasing than damage, especially when breeding. These two types are somewhat easy to sex as the males have longer third point of the dorsal fin and GBR males have no spots in the black spot behind the gill plate. This is helpful on GBR's
And for Bolivians try this
The Electric Blue variety I have no clue. I've not kept more than one species in one tank but I believe they would cross breed unless you have proven pairs in the tank. I started with 6 juveniles because of cost and let them grow out in the tank. I lucked out with 2 males each time. Both species have been very peaceful with the cardinal tetras, white tetras and Berkfordi pensil fish in the tank. I also have a 6" common BN Pleco, 4 inch Albino BN Pleco and 3 Cory;s in there.

stany

CCA Members
Added note, mine had no use of caves but did breed on flat rocks. I'm not a breeder and took no measures to grow fry. Some did.do breed but either bad parents or catfish got the fry.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Although Bolivian rams are more tolerant of neutral pH and harder water than German rams, they aren't Central American.

stany

CCA Members
My bad. Bolivians are from Bolivia and Brazil. I was was wanting point out the general water conditions are different than for African Cichlids,

stany

CCA Members
Thank you for the info. Nice that you can mix them with some community fish...
You want to do some research on tank mates.. My Rams seem to stay in the lower half of the tank and don't mess with others except their own kind establishing territories. Fin nippers like Barbs might be a problem. Do not mix them with African Cichlids.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
You should definitely put them in with Vampire Tetras and Bucktooth Tetras :p. Just kidding... Don't do that!! There's a lot of peaceful, beautiful tetras.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
I have a thicker skin than that....
I would hope so. Just a little joke.:) I have a planted 40 that is my favorite tank. It was going to be a Gold Ram tank but I got impatient and It now has Paleatus Cory's, Peacock Gudgeons, White Cloud Mountain Minnows and Harlequin Rasbora. Im picking up a pair of Amazon Puffers for the tank as well because the snails have gotten out of control. You have lots of options. Celestial Pearl Danios, Danio Erythromicron, lemon tetras, cardinal tetras, green neon tetras, theres sooo many beautiful fish out there. Frank Cowherd Frank Cowherd breeds rams and Im sure he could provide you with lots of info and the actual fish as well.