• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ziss breeder box or Marina hang on ones (air driven)?

captmicha

Members
Anyone tried both? Which do you prefer and why?

I have yet to try the Ziss and have the Marina.

While I like that it doesn't take up space in side the tank and there's circulation, I don't like how I have to put floss on the outlet screen bc it's not fine enough for fry to not get through and sometimes lose fry unless I plug up any spaces for water to get out with sponge/floss.

Which wouldn't happen if I could remember to keep the outlet floss cleaned on a regular basis.

Not a fan of the fabric screen ones that sit in the tank bc the water gets stagnant and the all plastic ones that sit in the tank with the slits on the side are too wide to keep fry in. Unless you glue on sponge... But then it doesn't circulate well.

lizardboy

CCA Members
Personally I prefer Ziss, but marina definitely has a few advantages. For one, it's easier to do water changes with marina than with the Ziss box. You also don't have to worry about fish inside the tank harassing the fry if you go with the marina. On the other hand, I find Ziss easier to work with and I don't have to worry about the floss falling out or getting clogged.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Personally I prefer Ziss, but marina definitely has a few advantages. For one, it's easier to do water changes with marina than with the Ziss box. You also don't have to worry about fish inside the tank harassing the fry if you go with the marina. On the other hand, I find Ziss easier to work with and I don't have to worry about the floss falling out or getting clogged.
I agree with Lucy on the pros and cons, although I prefer the Marina.

Another option is the German breeding ring. I picked one up at CatCon and have used it once, successfully:
http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/better-fishkeeping-supplies/

chriscoli

Administrator
I have both and really like both. My big thing about the Marina boxes is that I'm always bumping into them because they're external.

I prefer the ziss BL-2 boxes because they have a solid bottom rather than a screen like the BL-3 does. That way a little bit of water stays in the box when I do a waterchange and I don't leave the fry high and dry. (been there....done that) Even though the ziss hang on the rim, the attachment is thinner so you can keep the lid more closed than you would with the marina.

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
Never tried the Ziss but, like Christine said, my marinas also often get bumped by me when Im working around them.

zendog

We have both and while I really like the Ziss boxes (BL-2 models so they hold about a quarter inch during a water change), there are three things that I find to be a negative.

1. Dimensions... the marina boxes (well the largest at least) is narrower but longer, so if I have a clump of java moss in the middle, it breaks it up more to allow smaller fry to get more space between themselves and grumpier siblings.
2. The relatively small waterline height tolerance. Fill too much and the water overruns the top of the box and your fry can wash into the tank and too low and the flow slows dramatically or even stops. Height is adjustable, but if you are trying to pop it on and off the holder while in the tank you just might drop it in by accident ... at least I did. If you do regular water changes and have an automatic system that tops it to an exact level, this isn't an issue. I've actually considered using the J-shaped tubes from the marina boxes instead of the built in water intakes, since they are narrower so they'll push water into the box over a much wider range of water heights. That will just require a little surgery to the Ziss's top.
3. For my very protective westie parents, they know the fry are in the box and guard it diligently from other fish even though they are physically separated. It is hard for my parental instincts not to kick in and feel sad for the parents who know where their kids are but can't reach them. This is probably as much my issue as something with the box.

The marina's have plenty of flaws as noted by others, and the fact that when I mount them on the front the glass tops are propped up has lead to several expensive fish jumping out. So if you have fish that are known jumpers use the marina boxes with extreme caution unless you can work out a way to keep the top sealed.

I expect to continue using both, depending on the situation.