• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

External Overflows

reubendan

Members
I’m planning to move away from canister filters to a Poret foam based sump.

I’m not sure how to do the external overflow. Should I do a DIY based on Joey’s videos? Or is it better to purchase one online? If purchase is better, which would be the Eheim or Fluval of external overflows? I need one that is reliable and that doesn’t break.

Any suggestion or advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reuben

JLW

CCA Members
+1 on the Eshopps.
Most external overflows will build up a bubble in the U-Tube which will eventually cause a syphon break. You need to pull that bubble out from time to time.

You can, of course, also drill the tank. :)

Most poret foam filters are installed in tank to avoid external plumbing. There are many youtube instructions on how to do it and there is a vendor that sells parts for DIY. Any system that relies on external overflow box and hoses is vulnerable to dislocation, leak and flooding.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I’ve been contemplating this for some time. I’m thinking of doing a powered overflow with wired in float shut offs for the overflow and the return to avoid flooding. I don’t want to drill my tank and I don’t want to have issues. I plan on using an old HOB as my powered overflow.

reubendan

Members
Thank you all for the inputs!

Cory, I never thought of a powered overflow. How would you install the ‘wired in float shut offs’ ? I’m really inclining to this approach. Has anyone tried this before?

I’ve been contemplating this for some time. I’m thinking of doing a powered overflow with wired in float shut offs for the overflow and the return to avoid flooding. I don’t want to drill my tank and I don’t want to have issues. I plan on using an old HOB as my powered overflow.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
My buddy does saltwater and he wired some into his set up in series in case one failed. He’s been running it for years with no flooding, but he has his tanks drilled for an overflow. Apparently he has a video on his YouTube channel about how he did it. I’ll try to find the name of his channel for you.

reubendan

Members
Thank you Cory!

I’m only worried about keeping the 2 pumps in sync. My tank is not drilled. So it has to be external. I might have to first do a proof of concept :)

My buddy does saltwater and he wired some into his set up in series in case one failed. He’s been running it for years with no flooding, but he has his tanks drilled for an overflow. Apparently he has a video on his YouTube channel about how he did it. I’ll try to find the name of his channel for you.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Thank you Cory!

I’m only worried about keeping the 2 pumps in sync. My tank is not drilled. So it has to be external. I might have to first do a proof of concept :)

Agreed. I’m not going to drill either. I’m going to have to build another stand to fit my sump under my 75 before I install mine.