• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Maniacal laugh

Becca

Members
I demolished my husband's disintegrating storage wardrobe today and stashed his old clothes in Isaac's underutilized closet, today. After shuffling things in the Utility/fish room I found space for at least 2 more 10 gallons.15395451333487872419723710877475.jpg 15395451579661633083750756148084.jpg

See all that empty wall space? Well, I have an impact driver and some track shelving that's been looking for a wall to hang on.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Right now Drs Foster and Smith has marineland 20" canopies( should fit a 10 or 20H) on sale for $8.11. Free shipping at 19.00. I know they used to include everything in that even tops and sand. So you could get 3 of them for 24.33 shipped for free. Unless they have changed something on their shipping policy.

Becca

Members
For small tanks (2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20) I cut my own lids out of glass.

See - I don't trust myself cutting lids, but would be happy to buy some and/or learn from you. With the way these tanks are facing, I'd honestly be much better off with a lid that opens on the short end. I have versa-tops for the other 3 (they're all aqueon tanks) and they are constantly falling in the tanks.

Becca

Members
I was just wondering how people take full advantage of the $1 per gallon sale by getting lids "on the cheap". Any insights?
Usually I do Drs. Foster & Smith for the reasons Greg mentioned. Occasionally I can manage to trade things to a LFS in exchange for lids/parts. But yeah, it's annoying that they a) cost as much as the tank and b) are never actually in stock at the stores that sell the tanks.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
See - I don't trust myself cutting lids, but would be happy to buy some and/or learn from you. With the way these tanks are facing, I'd honestly be much better off with a lid that opens on the short end. I have versa-tops for the other 3 (they're all aqueon tanks) and they are constantly falling in the tanks.
Ditto on the learning.

abcdefghi

Members
Of course, finding lids for them is never as easy as actually finding the tanks :p.

Exactly why a 20G that I picked up has one of the lids from my 125G sitting on it currently. It's a little on the big side, but for now I am running the 125G open top (plants growing out the top) so figured I could make use of the lid.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I've successfully cut window glass using the method shown in the video. As an alternative, I used the metal ball to tap over the cut to separate the cut. I think that glass for aquarium tops would be thicker, depending on the size, but this method should work for that as well. Bear in mind that this works only for plate glass.

chriscoli

Administrator
If you're going to do a lot of it, there are some additional tools that I like to have on hand.

I can demo at my house anytime, or maybe next time we do mini-talks for the club.