• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Anyone interested in going in on filter foam?

captmicha

Members
I was thinking about ordering some off brand filter foam that's the same as Poret (reticulated polyether with no fire retardant or other additives) for my fish room and other projects.

Was looking to see if anyone wants to do a group order. I can shop around for prices.

I can bring to the meeting or pick up.

Maryland Guppy

CCA Members
Possibly? I don't think anyone in US sells the same type of foam (Poret) as Stephan.
Think he is the only US distributor.
Post here if you discover an equivalent. But I doubt it.

Sounds bad, I know.
I've used different foam over the years. Most degrade in way less than a year.
Poret really is the way to go.

captmicha

Members
"Poret ® foam is a viscoelastic polyether foam with outstanding resistance to acids, bases, hydrolysis, and other forms of chemical attack often encountered in aqueous environments such as aquariums, sumps, or ponds. The specially engineered reticulation process creates foam with ~97% defined pore size.Dec 16, 2014"

Swisstropicals.

This is polyether (not polyester, which will break down in wet applications) polyurethane reticulated foam. The type I've been using (I think 80 PPI) I've been using shows no signs of breaking down.

Reed

Very Fishe
Wait until Catcon in 2 weeks. Swiss tropical will be a vendor. They definitely have the best filters and no shipping

mchambers

Former CCA member
I doubt it's the same, but it may share some of the characteristics. Swiss Tropicals, which sells Poret, doesn't carry an 80 PPI, only 10, 20, 30 and 45.

Swiss Tropicals will be at the Catfish Convention, so you can buy true Poret foam then, or order it now and pick it up at the Dulles Hyatt Oct. 5-7. http://www.catfishcon.com/

finzz

Members
I've used a few different brands of foam to make a variety of filters and for me, it's worth the extra cost of Poret. Just my 2 cents.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I didn't see this post earlier, but I just ordered Mattenfilters from Swiss Tropicals to be picked up at Cat Con with free shipping! I emailed Stephan before ordering to be it was OK and he was happy to do it.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I didn't see this post earlier, but I just ordered Mattenfilters from Swiss Tropicals to be picked up at Cat Con with free shipping! I emailed Stephan before ordering to be it was OK and he was happy to do it.
Me too. Also ordered some Repashy Igapo Explorer!

Becca

Members
He's doing orders for Cat Con? I could actually use 2x corner ones for a 40B I'm setting up for a Potato Puffer.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I recently started switching my Hydro sponge filters over to Poret. I just bought the block foam and cut them to size. Eventually I'd like to move to Mattenfilters, but this was a good intermediary for me, and they've been working great.

I'm in the boat of using something that I know other people trust and have had good luck with. I don't necessarily like 'experimenting' with new fish equipment, same reason I go with name brand (recommended) heaters for tanks when needed.

In the end, it seems like longevity could be a key difference. I know you've said you have off-brand foam you've used without degradation, but I've never heard of anyone replacing Poret for durability reasons. Generally I follow the saying of "You get what you pay for." Its likely you'll spend less money now but may have to replace more often, or not get quite the same result.

Anyway, not trying to crap on your idea, just throwing out my opinion. I'm very curious to hear how your foam works out, if it lasts and performs, I'd be very tempted. One other thing to consider is customer service. I'm sure Stephan is available for questions or concerns and guarantees his product. Ordering some from amazon or ebay may not have the same level of service or guarantee. Best of luck though, post details of what you find.

lock jaw

CCA Members
I've been using pond filter pads from Amazon. If there is something better out there, I would like to try it.

Becca

Members
I've used some off brand foams for mattenfilters and (so far) have not had any issues. At least one of the filters has been running for over a year now. In general, I prefer poret, but budget constraints sometimes get in the way.

lock jaw

CCA Members
Over a year is pretty good. The amazon ones aren't so reusable, I've just been using them for a month or two with polyester and then replacing, they come in 10 foot rolls. I have a trickle filter and would like to try poret foam but I'm not sure which ones to use.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I think a few of my Poret filters ran for like 6 or 7 years before I replaced them. And they were still fine, I just wanted new in my
new tanks with the new room.

captmicha

Members
I've used some off brand foams for mattenfilters and (so far) have not had any issues. At least one of the filters has been running for over a year now. In general, I prefer poret, but budget constraints sometimes get in the way.
I hear that. I can't afford to do a fish room of Poret. I've been using 40 PPI (I didn't mean 80, I meant around 40 in my OP) off of Amazon that's been working for several months now, if not a year. No falling apart and is doing it's job.

Am also not going to Catcon. I won't be able to control myself!

captmicha

Members
Over a year is pretty good. The amazon ones aren't so reusable, I've just been using them for a month or two with polyester and then replacing, they come in 10 foot rolls. I have a trickle filter and would like to try poret foam but I'm not sure which ones to use.
Polyester doesn't stand up to wet conditions like polyether does.