• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
Ive been doing a lot of research on substrateo_O. im interested in a low tech plant/fish aquarium. A lot of the plants im interested in receive their nutrients from the water column. I might end up with a few that feed from the roots. What substrate can I use that wont rob my bank account?:) no dirt.

Becca

Members
Pool filter sand or a colored sand from a place like the stone store. Sand blasting sand is OK if you're not going to have anything like Cory Cats or Loaches that live on the bottom of the tank.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I have some soil master select you can have for free. It's enough to fill a 55 gallon with at least 2" or more.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I use PFS too, it does nothing to maintain the high PH though. Has anyone used the Quikrete sand this guy is talking about?

Becca

Members
I use PFS too, it does nothing to maintain the high PH though. Has anyone used the Quikrete sand this guy is talking about?

Dusty as... I don't know, the moon? It's DUSTY. It never comes clean. It's super fine and gets into filters. It gets into pre-filters and clogs the foam up. Because it's so fine, gas builds up under it pretty easily. It's purty, but never again.

Digital

Members

Ya, I it is what I use. It was easy to rinse, and probably didn't even need to but I was paranoid. $6/bag is great. Only comes in tan.

Digital

Members
Dusty as... I don't know, the moon? It's DUSTY. It never comes clean. It's super fine and gets into filters. It gets into pre-filters and clogs the foam up. Because it's so fine, gas builds up under it pretty easily. It's purty, but never again.

Becca, was your issue with pfs in general or specific to quickrete pfs?

FishEggs

PFS (pool filter sand) isn't bad at all and doesn't take much to rinse. The quikrete sand is not pool filter sand. Its a lot finer and dustier and needs rinsing for days. I think it's worse than the bags of play sand.

Digital

Members
PFS (pool filter sand) isn't bad at all and doesn't take much to rinse. The quikrete sand is not pool filter sand. Its a lot finer and dustier and needs rinsing for days. I think it's worse than the bags of play sand.

Quickrete does sell 50lb bags of PFS.