• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which size tank for these cichlids?

captmicha

Members
I have for rainbow cichlids, which tank would handle their bioload better?

A 65 tall or a regular 55 gallon?

FishEggs

Its the same footprint isn't it?
I don't think it would make much of a difference in bioload. That's usually handled by the filters.
If you could do a 75g that would be a better space for them.

captmicha

Members
Why won't it let me edit? I meant "four". Autocorrect.

Anyways, eventually they'll go into a much larger tank. This is just temporary.

I don't think it is the same footprint.

zendog

2 pairs, 1M/3F or 3M/1F? Makes a big difference.

If you have 2 pairs, even if they aren't adult, I think the 55 is better since it is 4 feet long. If you put a concentration of plants and hides at the opposite ends with something like a big piece of driftwood as a visual break in the middle, hopefully the fish will sort themselves out. Having some sort of target fish and dithers will help as well. Rainbows aren't particularly aggressive, but if a pair starts breeding you still may have trouble.

The 65 tall is 3 feet long by 18 inches wide base, right? If so, I'd think the extra foot of total length in the 55 is much better. We have a 55 and also have some 40 breeders (same footprint as the 65 tall) and what we've kept in the 55 probably might have lead to a floater or 2 if we tried it in the 40 breeders.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Definitely the 55, if you've got four. I've had a pair of rainbows in a three foot tank, but never tried four rainbows in a three foot tank.