• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which for a nano tank?

captmicha

Members
I want to make my 65 tall a nano fish South America (possibly Central America) biotope.

Of course I want to stick cichlids in there. But what species wouldn't prey on nano fish? If any.

I know Rainbow Cichlids are pretty good with most fish, so they're on the maybe list. Thoughts?

mchambers

Former CCA member
In my experience, Bolivian rams are good with smaller fish (I have some now with Corydoras hastatus and male Endlers). Some Laetacara, such as curviceps or dorsigera, should be okay, too.

I'm not sure about Rainbow cichlids and small fish. Might be okay, but I know that Rainbows will gobble up red cherry shrimp.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't trust any non-dwarf cichlid with nano fish, even relatively docile fish like rainbows. Maybe apistos or other similar type cichlids (dicrossus, biotoecus, taeniacara) could work, but I don't have any real life experience with them. Maybe others could relate their experience.

Becca

Members
Taeniacara are jerks (at least to each other). Easiest of the Dicrossus will be filamentosus.Bolivian rams are nice and much hardier than other rams. We have a 125 nano-fish tank with Creniacara punctulatum, butt they're pretty reclusive.

backfromthedead

CCA Members
i would center your tank around one acarichthys heckelli. beautiful fish, great attitude as long as theyre not breeding. any medium-large tetra sized fish will be safe from them. unless you're trying to put tiny fish in there like neons or something.

if you talking tiny fish. a small group of nannacara anomala would be perfect and maybe a couple rams for them to cohab with.

good luck!