• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plans for Loss of Power

Fishn'

CCA Members
What do people here on this forum do when they lose power? How do you keep your fish alive? 2-8 hours isn't a big deal, but more than a day is.

Have not lost power but this winter has me thinking about the possibility and in need of a backup plan.

abcdefghi

Members
I lose power more often than I would like, for times when I know it's going to be out for a longer period of time I have a generator. But, I will shut off the lights, as well as one of the heaters and just alternate which filter is running.

In the past, I had about a 3-day power outage and not a large enough generator. Everything was off in the tank, in that case, I wrapped it in blankets and hoped for the best. Thankfully despite the water being really cold when the power came back on, I don't believe I lose a single fish. In all honesty I expected to find most of them dead, but nope, even GBR's I had at the time survived the cold.

I believe you can get battery powered air pumps, I may pick up a couple of those to run sponge filters on as well to help in any future power outages.

CichlidDan

Members
I haven’t had to use my plan yet but I have marina battery operated air pumps and to keep the water as warm as possible I’d wrap the tanks with a blanket and warm up water bottles with an electric stove then float them if the water gets too cold.

Last edited:

Reed

Very Fishe
Picked up this Generator just in case. Had to use it a couple of times. The key is to have all your plugs organized and be able to switch from wall plug to a set of extension cords ready to connect to the generator
IMG_20170102_181202_089.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Search the forum for a thread about this where Frank Cowherd has a really good list of things to do.

I have a small generator that I can use to run filters and air pumps, which is good enough for almost all the fish I keep. The last long power outage we had, where I was without power for 3 days, the only fish I lost were a group of fancy plecos. The tank got cold and I lost them all. Everything else came out just fine.

My biggest piece of advice - stop feeding the fish. The less waste, the better. Fish will do just fine not getting fed for days.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Search the forum for a thread about this where Frank Cowherd has a really good list of things to do.

I have a small generator that I can use to run filters and air pumps, which is good enough for almost all the fish I keep. The last long power outage we had, where I was without power for 3 days, the only fish I lost were a group of fancy plecos. The tank got cold and I lost them all. Everything else came out just fine.

My biggest piece of advice - stop feeding the fish. The less waste, the better. Fish will do just fine not getting fed for days.
Frank’s list is great.

http://aquaticlifefarm.com/web_pages/alf_article_pwr.html