• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Frustrated: Any suggestions?

dario5678

CCA Members
Im about 2 months in to this hobby and it has been a PITA. I have a sunsun704b brand canister that I purchased from amazon early September.

• for about 6 weeks I ran it with light filter pad
  • this weekend I added a more course pad and some carbon
  • it ran for like a day
  • I go down to feed the fish and notice the carpet is damp around the tank
  • after investigating I see the filter is leaking (see attached picture)
  • I take it the tops off reset the bins and close it again and was so mad Im trying to sell it.
  • after 2 days it started to leak again (i caught it early so it didn't mess anything up)
  • Any advice on how I should address this leak?
  • I cant find any information on this company to check out warranty (does anyone?)
  • I was gonna say F it and get an HOB like aquaclear and pray that it can fit behind my tank but I want to try to return this thing or something. I will always have anxiety about it leaking.
  • I hope my fish don't die. I noticed it this morning
20171025_074301.jpg

dario5678

CCA Members
Im about 2 months in to this hobby and it has been a PITA. I have a sunsun704b brand canister that I purchased from amazon early September.

• for about 6 weeks I ran it with light filter pad
  • this weekend I added a more course pad and some carbon
  • it ran for like a day
  • I go down to feed the fish and notice the carpet is damp around the tank
  • after investigating I see the filter is leaking (see attached picture)
  • I take it the tops off reset the bins and close it again and was so mad Im trying to sell it.
  • after 2 days it started to leak again (i caught it early so it didn't mess anything up)
  • Any advice on how I should address this leak?
  • I cant find any information on this company to check out warranty (does anyone?)
  • I was gonna say F it and get an HOB like aquaclear and pray that it can fit behind my tank but I want to try to return this thing or something. I will always have anxiety about it leaking.
  • I hope my fish don't die. I noticed it this morning
View attachment 18398

Also, to add, when i lift the head off the filter there an awful amount of water that has to pour out..... in it if that means anything.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I haven't used that brand canister, but I would contact the vendor you purchased it from. Hopefully they can provide assistance.

I like canisters in theory, but this is one of the reasons I'm not currently using any. They're usually not easy to clean, and if not set up properly, or have defects, they can leak. I use all HOBs or air filters, depending on needs and tank location.

Honestly I think sunsun is one of the cheaper brands, and Chinese manufactured. I've heard of problems before. If you have to stick with canisters, I'd go with Fluval or Eheim.

Don't let it discourage you though, most all of us have dealt with this or something very similar. There's just a learning process and soon it will all seem second hand.

If your fish are still alive after 2 weeks, they seem resilient. Add a powerhead or airstone for oxygenation/water movement in the meantime if possible. Do frequent water changes until the problem can be resolved.

dario5678

CCA Members
I haven't used that brand canister, but I would contact the vendor you purchased it from. Hopefully they can provide assistance.

I like canisters in theory, but this is one of the reasons I'm not currently using any. They're usually not easy to clean, and if not set up properly, or have defects, they can leak. I use all HOBs or air filters, depending on needs and tank location.

Honestly I think sunsun is one of the cheaper brands, and Chinese manufactured. I've heard of problems before. If you have to stick with canisters, I'd go with Fluval or Eheim.

Don't let it discourage you though, most all of us have dealt with this or something very similar. There's just a learning process and soon it will all seem second hand.

If your fish are still alive after 2 weeks, they seem resilient. Add a powerhead or airstone for oxygenation/water movement in the meantime if possible. Do frequent water changes until the problem can be resolved.

Thank you for the advice...much appreciated

dogofwar

CCA Members
Don't give up...you've just discovered the club!

Once you get the hang of it, fish tanks are a lot of fun.

Can't help you with the canister filter. Something that's much simpler is Poret (www.swisstropicals.com). Runs with an air pump or power head :)

Matt

Becca

Members
Sunsuns are cr@p. Cobalt makes an incredibly easy to use canister for tanks up to 55 gallons.

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member
SunSuns aren't great, but they are cheap. I agree that the Cobalt filter is a much better alternative, and much easier to use.

FishEggs

I just recently had a sun sun start leaking on me. I didn't even open it or anything. Running for a month since last cleaning and then water started running down the side just like yours. If you don't have room behind the tank but have room above the tank you can make a dump filter. Easy to diy one of those.

dario5678

CCA Members
Thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement. I guess I have to trash the sunsun....I cant find any information on them regarding warranty.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Before you toss it, did you check the integrity/proper seating of any O-rings? Maybe the issue can be addressed by the application of some sort of aquarium safe silicon (not silicon caulk). I have a Marineland Hang on Tank filter that came with a Vaseline type substance that you'd use to "seal" any leaks. Maybe that might do the trick.

Blaise

Fishn'

CCA Members
Canisters have the potential to be messy, in a hurry.

A good one that is maintained can also be awesome and headache free.

They can fill either role unfortunately.

dario5678

CCA Members
Don't give up...you've just discovered the club!

Once you get the hang of it, fish tanks are a lot of fun.

Can't help you with the canister filter. Something that's much simpler is Poret (www.swisstropicals.com). Runs with an air pump or power head :)

Matt
Guess what? I ordered the poret from Swiss tropicals. You mention I can use a water pump. I dontt see that as an option...do you use it?

Digital

Members
Dario, if you look in the DIY section you'll see a corner filter I did with foam and a power head. I think that is what you're asking for help with in your last post? That should give you some ideas on how to use a power head instead of an air lift.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Dario,

If you bought a sheet of Poret, you'd place the powerhead behind the foam, on the "clean" side, with the return back into the "fish" side. If you bought a cubefilter, you'd place the powerhead on top of the lift tube (provided it fits) and draw the water through the foam block.

In either case, using a powerhead will cause the foam to clog more quickly.

Blaise

dario5678

CCA Members
Thank you all for all of the helpful Info. I decided to go with the air filter. The poret has a foam metal base but I can't get it to stop floating will it stop on its own...it came with no documents.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thank you all for all of the helpful Info. I decided to go with the air filter. The poret has a foam metal base but I can't get it to stop floating will it stop on its own...it came with no documents.
You'll need to squeeze the sponge underwater, it's just full of air right now, happened to all of mine. Squeeze it a few times until it sinks and you should be ready to go.

stany

CCA Members
I only use Fluval canisters. I do maintain them on a 3 month schedule. Have not had a problem with leaks if you replace the o ring as soon as a leak occurs. Happens right away when maintained. Seems to me if they don't leak immediately after maintainance they are good for 3 months.

captmicha

Members
Sounds like your only problem is one garbage filter. There's a reason why these are so cheap.

I'd invest in a higher quality one if you want to keep using a canister. Or a sump would be even better. It adds more filter area and water to the tank. And it can be made/bought with fail-safes for power outages.