• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Black Convict Cichlid fry

Ally

So my 2 convict cichlids have babies now. Tons of them. I have blocked them all off using a tank divider from the rest of the community, but i dont know what to do with them. I cannot keep them all. Maybe one or two, but i currently have 100-200 in the tank. Can i sell them somewhere? If not, can i donate them? I know they have to be a bit bigger first, but i dont even know how fast they will grow! Help!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Ally:

Congrats on the spawn. Convicts are some of my favorite fish to keep, even though they are abundant in the hobby.

Unfortunately, since they are so readily available, there isn't much of a market for fry. Most local shops won't take them as trades. When I have a pair that spawns in one of my tanks, I just let nature take its course. Occasionally, I end up with a survivor or two, but typically the fry are consumed by other tank mates or the parents when they are ready to spawn again.

Good luck with them! The parenting instincts of convicts are fun to observe.

Ally

Ally:

Congrats on the spawn. Convicts are some of my favorite fish to keep, even though they are abundant in the hobby.

Unfortunately, since they are so readily available, there isn't much of a market for fry. Most local shops won't take them as trades. When I have a pair that spawns in one of my tanks, I just let nature take its course. Occasionally, I end up with a survivor or two, but typically the fry are consumed by other tank mates or the parents when they are ready to spawn again.

Good luck with them! The parenting instincts of convicts are fun to observe.

It has been so fun to observe. How quickly do u think they will lay eggs again? Fry are a week old now? I have the current family divided on the tank so other fish won't eat the fry but will the parents? They're very protective rn.