• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cork sheet as backing

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I've been toying with the idea of affixing thin cork sheeting to the exterior of my tanks because 1) I like the look, compared to the standard blue, black paint; 2) it meshes with my increasing fascination with the "botanic" look; and 3) in my unfinished basement, it might provide a slight amount of insulation during the winter, especially since the tanks are against a cement wall.

But what adhesive should I use? Don't necessarily want this to become permanent, in case my artistic vision outpaces reality. Contact cement? Good 'ole Scotch tape?

Suggestions, please.

Blaise

FishEggs

When attaching to a sheet of glass nothing is really permanent. It's just a matter of how much work it takes to get it off. I wouldn't use contact cement. That would be an ordeal to get it off.
The issue I see would be for it to look the best it has to be kept up tight against the glass over its entirety. With thin cork sheet depending on thickness it can sag or bubble up off the glass also depending on size of area to be covered. So covering the whole surface with a clear drying (since it will be the side you see) adhesive would be best.

I don't know of any adhesive that would do that and be easy to take off. Maybe wallpaper adhesive? Though I don't know if it will stick to glass and the toxicity of it.

I would maybe try the tape and if necessary use a stiff board behind it to keep it flat.

b considine

Short end of a series of 10s, to start. Long side of some 20 L and a 30 breeder, if it looks good.

Michael's has sheets of cork 3/32, of which one option is adhesive for sticking on a whiteboard type thingy.

Blaise

zendog

I expect this might be challenging to get to look good just using the cork since it is thin. Getting it flush against the glass would definitely be important and doing that with just cork, and avoiding bumps and sagging, would probably be nearly impossible without some type of adhesive between the cork and the glass. But besides the issue of it being difficult to clean off, it might also change the look of the cork if it isn't totally clear, or possibly make it blotchy if it is thicker in some areas and permeates the cork differently.

So what if you adhere the cork to a piece of 1/4 luan plywood cut to the size of the glass face you want to cover, then use some small rigid wire or metal stapping to make clips to pin it to the glass. This is sort of like using the metal clips to pin the glass in a picture frame. You could slide these clips under the tank frame at the top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right edges and just pin the cork faced side of the plywood up against the glass.

I don't think the clips would harm the tank if the wood is light enough and the metal is thin enough. But I'd test it on a 10 gallon first... and don't call me if it is an epic failure... try at your own risk!

Here is a quick mock-up of what that might look like.
corkytank.jpg

Leffler817

CCA Members
Painter's tape would not last very long.

Walter's idea is curious and you could probably use a paper clip to connect the cork/luan sheet to the tank.

My go to glue is Loctite Super Gel it dries white but only where it puddles up. It would hold the cork to luan and to your glass. It's pretty strong so you won't need a ton of it.

Lastly, Christine is a big Bondic fan. It is some type of dental epoxy(?). Maybe she'll chime in about whether that would work.

b considine

Walter--your idea looks intriguing.
Matt--your spray option appeals to the loafer in me.

Blaise

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
There is a silicone made for this use. Go to the silicone glue isle at Lowes or HD and look for the removable silicone glue. I have used it and it has held two pieces of wood together for years. However, it was designed and sold to seal leaks around windows to prevent drafts in winter. THen when the weather gets warm, you pull off the silicone bead.

I think they call it Seal and Peal.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
There is a silicone made for this use. Go to the silicone glue isle at Lowes or HD and look for the removable silicone glue. I have used it and it has held two pieces of wood together for years. However, it was designed and sold to seal leaks around windows to prevent drafts in winter. THen when the weather gets warm, you pull off the silicone bead.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks Frank!

Fishn'

CCA Members

Sounds like a great idea. I'll be using this as well. Thank you.