• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Those clear tubes?

captmicha

Members
Where do you guys get those rigid clear tubes I see on DIY sponge filters? I see them from fish supply places, but I'd like them cheaper.

I don't mean the very wide ones from Home Depot in the lighting department.

Thanks.

chriscoli

Administrator
There are a variety of clear rigid tubes you can get from fish supply places on line or from places like HOT or Congressional. What size are you looking for?

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
You may be able to find them at hobby or craft stores as well. But I bought mine at HOT, as they had the size I was looking for.

Blaise

captmicha

Members
There are a variety of clear rigid tubes you can get from fish supply places on line or from places like HOT or Congressional. What size are you looking for?
Just various sizes. I'm not sure yet.

I might just go with something different all together.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I'd be willing to bet that you can find them at Michael's or other hobby/craft stores.

Blaise

MarkK

CCA Members
If you are really making a home-made sponge filter, then PVC is fine.

I use PVC on home-made sponge filters.

Drill a hole on a downward angle and on the side of the pipe and insert your airline and then attach an airstone and pull it back into the pipe. I drill a few holes straight across the bottom area to increase the inflow at the bottom.

The image shows a hole drilled at an angle and the airline fed through. Then I attach the airstone and pull it back so it is at the bottom of the pipe.

sponge filter pipe.jpg

captmicha

Members
If you are really making a home-made sponge filter, then PVC is fine.

I use PVC on home-made sponge filters.

Drill a hole on a downward angle and on the side of the pipe and insert your airline and then attach an airstone and pull it back into the pipe. I drill a few holes straight across the bottom area to increase the inflow at the bottom.

The image shows a hole drilled at an angle and the airline fed through. Then I attach the airstone and pull it back so it is at the bottom of the pipe.

View attachment 18442
I've done that too, but thought the clear looks nicer. Works really well for keeping the airline down in there.

But the clear tubes will probably just get filthy with algae and I'm too lazy to clean them.

But now I need them for shrimp/fish feeding tubes.

I forgot to order some when I did my big order from Ken's.

Where do you get your sponges? Do large pore ones do anything for mechanical filtration?