• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish forum recommendation?

captmicha

Members
I'm looking for an active, generalized fish keeping forum/discussion group. I mostly seem to be the only one posting in the section on here. It's kind of OT for a cichlid focused board, I think?

PVAS doesn't seem too busy in the summertime and I always have a lot of questions.

Lots of the forums, like the ones that I used to use pre-Facebook are dead.

But FB and Reddit don't have the greatest discussion groups. It's mostly filled up with newbie stuff that's easily Googled for yourself and no one seems able or willing to talk about anything else.

So where does all the discussion take place nowadays?

chriscoli

Administrator
I think a lot of it has moved to FB, but as you note...The quality is often lacking.

It seems that all of the forums are experiencing a lull lately. Keep asking your questions, though!

mchambers

Former CCA member
captmicha captmicha , thanks for raising this issue! I agree with you and chriscoli chriscoli that the forums are losing traffic in favor of FB and Reddit, which is a shame. The quality of the discussions is very low. Even worse, on those rare occasions when there is a good post, it's not preserved in a way that is easily searchable, at least as far as I can tell.

For me the best forums are this one, the planted tank forum, and planet catfish.

FishEggs

I hate the face book. It ruined so much.
I pretty much stick to this forum. The planted tank is good if you use an ad blocker. I started with Aquarium Advice back when I first really got Into the hobby and go there from time to time but not too often anymore since I don't have much time to spend on multiple sites. I just don't know how people use all those different "social" sites all the time. Is there an ap for that? Lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Forums are not what they once were. We used to average over 100 posts per day.
Heck at one point 4 years ago we were averaging over 200 per day.
All forums are down.
I do use facebook but prefer forums.
If you want to look up something on here you can... Find something someone said
a month later on facebook if you don't know who said it.
Search a certain word on here and boom there it is.

We still are much more active than most club forums or even national fish forums.

I watch our numbers against another forum that claims to be busy.... In last year we are close to double their posts.

So to me its relative... We are way down but so are all fish forums.

The biggest thing is to post.....The more activity a few people contribute, the more others will too.

If people come on and there are lots of posts then they will also post.
If there are just a few, then they will not post.
So if you want us to be busier then help by posting more.
(this message is not directed at any individual. Heck I used to be the top post guy and now seldom post. Yes I am a bad boy. LOL )

abcdefghi

Members
fishlore.com seems pretty decent from my limited experience with it. I used to use aquariacentral.com a good bit, but last I checked it had gone downhill pretty drastically.

Cal

CCA Members
I've noticed there's quite a decent fish community on YouTube. I'm subscribed to quite a few channels that give out great content, but still have to cull out the good from the bad.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've found that I don't make the time to sit and watch videos.
Boy, no kidding. Videos almost never seem to me to be an efficient way to convey information. I'll watch Rachel O'Leary's videos, because she organizes and edits them well, and because she is so knowledgeable. But most of the rest seem disorganized , and way too many "How ya doing?" rambles for me.

FishEggs

There's no search capability on a video either to skip through all the other stuff in it and get to the pertinent info you need. Very one sided discussion too.
Rachel's videos are definitely the best I've seen. Not too long, packed with info and easily understandable.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My recommendation is to just ask here. There are an amazing array of people who lurk here... and maybe your question or post will spur them to respond :)

Matt

lizardboy

CCA Members
I use cichlidforum.com occasionally and also apistogramma.com. They're definitely less active than this, and cichlid forum can be variable in terms of the quality of comments but apistogramma.com has a great quality of comments, just much less active.