• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cheap summer tubs

Should I

• Use the 55g and put a cross brace on it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FishEggs

I picked up a couple cheap bins i saw while at home depot today. Figured I'd test them out for some outdoor tubs. One is a 55g tote for $20 and the other a 38g for $17. Filled them up with water to see if they would hold up. The 38g bowed out a little and held just fine. The 55g, which was made more narrow for some reason and taller, bowed out quite a lot and started to kink the sides. So I won't be using the 55g for an outside tub unless I put a brace across the center.20170630_195025.jpg
55 gallon tote

20170630_193624.jpg
38 gallon tote

FishEggs

The 38g really doesn't need a brace. I even pushed out the sides more and they held up just fine.

chriscoli

Administrator
Build a simple wood frame around them. Or something similar. I know someone who did this and they eventually (and suddenly) ripped along the side and dumped the water everywhere. They were testing them for use inside as a sump. Fortunately they tested them outside for a bit before installing them inside!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You might not want to but you could Dig a hole and put the tubs in. Fill with water and then fish.

Whatever you do, pick a spot that only gets maybe an hour of direct sun a day. If you get too much sun the water will get too hot and you will end up with a lot of algae and maybe even green water and you will never see any fish even if they are there. You can even build a simple cover with plywood to provide shade if you have to.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If you really want a cheap summer tub, go get a kiddy wadding/swimming pool (with or without built in slide). the medium sized ones cost maybe 20 dollars and you can often find them on sale for $10, particularly at the end of the season. They work great. I have been using them outside in the shade for years. The medium sized ones hold 50 to 80 gallons and with their shallow water there is no need for a pump or filter.

I have raised many different kinds of fish and without my planning to many different kinds of frogs and toads. I even raise daphnia in some of them.

FishEggs

I don't really have a good spot to use a kiddie pool and I don't want to dig any holes in the front yard but very good ideas. I'll store them for future use.

captmicha

Members
Dumb Q but, how do they get enough air from stagnant water? And how often are you doing water changes with no filtration running? Unless people are running electricity out to them?

FishEggs

Well I have an air powered sponge filter in mine to help with oxygenation and filtration. Also I have a lot of plants stocked in it which will provide oxygen and pull the ammonia and nitrates out. Water changes happen every time it rains which has been a lot this summer so far.
Have you seen Rachel O'Leary's youtube videos on summer tubbing? Very informative.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
That is why I like the kiddy wading pools. If the pond is less than ten inches deep, you need no aeration as long as it does not get more then a couple hours of direct sunlight per day. I do not change water either. If there is too much evaporation, you need to add water, but the usual problem for me is rain filling the pond too full. I have to drain water away to lower the water level.
I sometimes use a piece of Lexan over the wadding pool to provide shade if it gets too much sun.
Adding hornwort also seems to be good, but other water plants that float are also good particularly if you want fry to survive.