• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Large tank or several small?

Carolineep

CCA Members
Howdy
Closing in on the completion of fishroom 1.5 and I have a couple options.
I can place a large 4ft tank or several 20 gallon longs.
Looking for input please what would you do?
Riddle me this

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In my opinion, I'd rather have larger tanks than smaller tanks, but it really depends on what you want to do with the tanks. If all you need are grow out tanks or are looking to keep species only tanks with smaller fish, the 20 longs may be the better choice. If you are looking to add another breeding group or community tank, the 4 footer would be better.

If I am lucky enough one day to start a fish room from scratch, I'd go with as many big tanks as I could fit and only have enough small tanks to handle grow out/quarantine/isolation needs. Keep in mind that I like bigger, more aggressive fish, too.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Depends on the rest of the fishroom. If you've got some 15s and 20s to grow out fry already, put in a 4 footer... Otherwise 20Hs or better 29gs :)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Unlike Jon, I don't like large and angry fish, so I'd go for the smaller tanks. I've been toying with the idea of adding a rack of small tanks, for breeding and growing out corydoras and tetras.

Becca

Members
If you plan to use them for quarantine, use smaller tanks. It's easier to keep track of fish and cheaper/ easier to treat them if necessary.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Do you have enough room to build a rack of two 75s?

My main issue with my fish room is there is a brick fireplace step that I do t trust to stack anything on. Maybe I am just being overly cautious but ya know the saying better safe then 150 gallons of water on the floor.

Maybe when I push into the garage I will definitely have room.
muahahahaha