• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best Bang for your Buck R/O System

Looks like i'll soon be joining the army of R/O users.

Still very much undecided on the specific model to purchase though.

I'm looking for something in the 75 to 100 gallons per day range, and very much interested in longevity of the machine and finding a good value. I by no means need to have the absolute top of the line, a strong sturdy workhorse will do.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

For that matter, anyone got a good unit for sale?

Thanks!

Becca

Members
Have you considered rain barrels? When I looked into RO I found the amount of wastewater produced to be a big turn-off. You can always use wastewater in gardens, or in tanks where water quality doesn't need to meet specific parameters, but they produce more wastewater than clean water. The downside of rain barrels, of course, is dry spells and that they can't be used over the winter, but you'll need barrels to store water in, too, so factor some sort of water storage into your projected costs.

chriscoli

Administrator
I second the rain barrel idea.

I do have an RO setup though, and got it through Bulk Reef Supply. Even if you don't go with them, watch their setup videos, they're clear and helpful. They'll show you how to do the initial setup, add a second RO membrane, and add a booster pump (and explain why you might want a booster pump) if you decide you need it down the line.

They also donate a basic RO unit to the BFD each year, so I like to support them.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/

dogofwar

CCA Members
Was talking to a group of folks at the Bucks County Aquarium Society (BCAS) meeting and many of them use dehumidifier water (and have for years).

Matt

Was talking to a group of folks at the Bucks County Aquarium Society (BCAS) meeting and many of them use dehumidifier water (and have for years).

Matt
How would one go about dehumidifying on this scale?

Also for the moment rain barrels are not possible because I live in an apartment.

My water storage for RO was going to be a spare 55 gallon tank or 2

Becca

Members

Also for the moment rain barrels are not possible because I live in an apartment.

Anyone remember the rain barrel Avatar Avatar had set up in his kitchen, coming in through his apartment window?

I'm not recommending it, though.

If you want to save your tanks for fish, you can always use the round rubbermaid trash bins (that's what we store water in to bring it to temp). Just make sure they're close enough to an outlet to drop a sump pump in them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I run the dehumidifier in my garage fishroom to a 27g tote via a hose (vs. having to empty the bin on the dehumidifier daily). It collects and amazing amount of water, especially in humid weather.

I don't really keep soft water fish, so I use a sump pump to water the lawn with the water...but it could be as easy as pumping it to tanks for water changes.

As an aside, I started a thread about using dehumidifier water for fish and got mixed responses. To test for heavy metals or other contaminants in mine, I did a few experiments with poly filter and also brought a sample of water to the LFS for testing (Thanks Congressional!) - no metals, no ammonia, no nada, pH 7.0.

I was surprised at the enthusiastic, "Yes, of course!" that I received from folks at BCAS on their use of dehumidifier water.

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
:)

Anyone remember the rain barrel Avatar Avatar had set up in his kitchen, coming in through his apartment window?

If you want to save your tanks for fish, you can always use the round rubbermaid trash bins (that's what we store water in to bring it to temp). Just make sure they're close enough to an outlet to drop a sump pump in them.

chriscoli

Administrator

that was awesome! I loved his setup.