• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's the difference?

captmicha

Members
Why is a trickle, wet dry, sump (combo?) filter(s) supposed to be superior to a canister filter filled with scrubbies?

Does the anaerobic environment in a canister reduce bb? I'm assuming all the complicated type filters are for exposure to air?

I'm wondering what justifies the extra work for me.

I can't have the type of filter that's over the tank.

Robinhud

CCA Members
First let me say I am not an expert.
That said lets look at this for a second. When things are going good every filtration system works well if properly sized to the bio load it is working with. The big thing is when you have a problem. Say the power goes out for a day. If you take the top off a hob it will stink. The Biological bacteria have been working inside it. braking down the waste like it is suppose to do but because of the small amount of water contained in the filter it stinks. Your ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate levels are toxic. Take the same bioload and place it in a canister filter. the same bio cycle takes place but with the increased volume of water your parts per million is less. It still maybe toxic but less. Now instead of a 3 gallon canister you have a 30 gallon sump. Same bioload even same media. Your parts per million will be dramaticly reduced, also some of the gasses formed will be released into the surrounding air space. Does that mean your fish survive maybe but there are other factors which also come into play. the oddes are increased in your favor. Hope this helped

mchambers

Former CCA member
I think the article below is a fair summary.

http://www.tankarium.com/canister-filter-vs-sump-need-know/

I'd add only that sumps seem to be more important in saltwater aquariums, where canisters are disfavored. I have thought about trying a sump, but I'm happy with what I've got, which is a mix of canisters and mattenfilters. I think I'm going to convert more of my tanks to mattenfilters when I have the time and energy.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've tried trickle filters, canister filters, HOB filters, and mattenfilters. Most of the time, I prefer mattenfilters.

The trickle filters were high maintenance and I didn't really see any huge gains by using them. I also don't do salt and I don't have any huge tanks either so that might play into my "meh" attitude toward them.

Robinhud

CCA Members
Guys my explanation wasn't an attack on canister filters. I run one on my 75 with 2 sponge filters and live plants and it does a great job on a tank that has a heavy bioload on it. That said I still stand by my assessment. I would not hesitate to put a canister filter on a 30 gallon tank with 30.00$ worth of tetras and guppies but I sure would consider a sump filter with a large tank with my 2000.00$ investment in discus or other prized fish. For further evidence show me one large commercial aquarium that runs everything on just sponge filters. everything has a place and a use and we need to assess what is best for our purpose.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think the type of filtration is often influenced by factors other than the "value" of fish in a tank. Cost, reliability, efficiency, and aesthetics all come into play. I'm not sure what you mean my commercial aquarium, but I have seen several large fish stores that use air driven sponges to filter tanks. Most will use central systems because in the long run, they are more efficient to operate and maintain.

For the hobbyist, I think the other factors I mentioned above come more into play. Personally, in my fish room, I use mostly air driven filtration (sponges, matten filters, and box filters). They are easy to maintain, inexpensive, and efficient. They are also ugly and loud. In my "show" tanks, I use other filter types. I have 2 large tanks, a 180 filtered by canisters and a 135 filtered by a sump. I've never had any issues with water quality in either tank. The 180 is right next to my tv and recliner in my living room and is essentially silent. My 135 has a sump, and although people say you can get them to be silent, I have yet to master that skill. If the tank wasn't drilled, I probably would have opted for a quieter filter.

But back to the OP's question, I think most filters, if appropriately sized, will work. It is other considerations, in my opinion, that make one type more desirable than another.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A big difference between sumps and canisters is capacity: the amount of bio materials that will fit into a canister - even a big one - is much less than the amount that can fit into a sump

Another key difference is ease of maintenance: changing or rinsing the mechanical filtration (whether fluff, a sock or whatever) is quite easy for a sump...and involves taking the canister offline and apart.

A definitely recommend drilled tanks for sumps (vs. overflows, whether commercial or DIY). Overflows are the Achilles heels of sumps.

That said, canisters are quiet, pack a lot of bang for the buck and work well, especially for not too large tanks. Same with HOBs.

I find them a PITA to clean so I've all but discontinued their use in my fishroom in favor of air-driven sponges, boxes and Poret. I have a 55g with Central American grow outs filtered with nothing but an (air-driven) Poret sponge filter and box filter. It's more than enough...

Matt

FishEggs

You can DIY canister filters to have more capacity and a back wash so maintenance is just as easy as a sump. I've got 12" diameter X 14" tall poret foam and circulating about 1100 gph in a 6.5g bucket.20170323_202911.jpg 20170401_174524.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
DIY King Joey has a video on youtube making one very similar to this. There is also video on youtube of folks making one out of a water cooler/dispenser like you would find at a sports game.

FishEggs

The water cooler is still only 5 gallons and I don't see how it could be sealed to not leak and still be able to open it. Mine leaks just tipping it over.
I found out about the UniSeal bulk head fitting from Joey's video.

Robinhud

CCA Members
to your home made canister filter I found that buffer pads made of spun pollyester make a great biofilter base media.