• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Excellent May Meeting!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
While I love the enthusiasm for making the club for a wider audience, rebranding would be so hard to do. I do like the tag line idea. You could do CCA, A growing force in the AQUARIUM hobby instead. To be fair, as both Matts have stated, an earlier announcement of the speaker, date, and time getting out on the interweb would help as well.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If someone can crack the code on advertising or posting info at Petsmart or Petco, that would be awesome. I've tried. Several times.

We have info posted at Congressional Aquarium in Rockville and House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie.

I've done meeting-specific flyers in the recent past and brought them to Congressional (really the only LFS near me). I'm happy to make more (I just did a simple PPT slide) and email it to folks who will print and bring to the LFS near them... I just haven't had many takers.

CCA split off from PVAS because of the group's interest in cichlids (and to have meetings in Maryland). We've had plenty of meetings on other topics than cichlids...but I don't think it's a good idea to give up the focus.

Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
If someone can crack the code on advertising or posting info at Petsmart or Petco, that would be awesome. I've tried. Several times.

We have info posted at Congressional Aquarium in Rockville and House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie.

I've done meeting-specific flyers in the recent past and brought them to Congressional (really the only LFS near me). I'm happy to make more (I just did a simple PPT slide) and email it to folks who will print and bring to the LFS near them... I just haven't had many takers.

CCA split off from PVAS because of the group's interest in cichlids (and to have meetings in Maryland). We've had plenty of meetings on other topics than cichlids...but I don't think it's a good idea to give up the focus.

Matt

You won't get to post at a chain store as Matt says. They aren't into that. We CAN post on Craigslist, Facebook, and several other places.

Local fish stores, while shrinking in number everyday, are still the best place to find perspective members. I will be out to HOT this week, so if you get me stuff to take over today or tomorrow Matt, I can.

As for the split, I wouldn't have known that. I knew that many members are in both clubs, but thought they were always separate. Glad to know the history and now understand the CCA/PVAS distinction. Knowing this, I agree that it probably shouldn't be changed.

Basically it boils down to how much work we everyday members are willing to do. The board and leadership can only do so much, but they can throw the support of the club behind others if they are willing to step up. As much as I can, I'm willing. Hence the reason I started the conversation down this path.

dogofwar

CCA Members
CSnyder00 CSnyder00 pm me your email address and I'll send you the Powerpoint slide for teh June meeting.

If anyone else plans to visit an LFS and could print and post the slide, please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you as well...

Matt

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
several months ago I asked the local Pet Smart and Petco stores to post CCA flyers, and they refused, saying that they don't offer community bulletin boards.
Although I've kept fresh and brackish water aquariums for decades, I didn't learn about the CCA until I decided to look into cichlids and was informed about the club at Congressional.