• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Diy gel food?

Hey just wondering if anyone else does this here. I blended aqueon cichlid pellets, spinach, garlic cloves, leftover cobalt probiotic flakes, hikair biogold discus, freeze dried krill and bloodworms into a nice gel. The fish go crazy but it's messy so I'm only feeding the two tanks housing the smaller ones.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Hey just wondering if anyone else does this here. I blended aqueon cichlid pellets, spinach, garlic cloves, leftover cobalt probiotic flakes, hikair biogold discus, freeze dried krill and bloodworms into a nice gel. The fish go crazy but it's messy so I'm only feeding the two tanks housing the smaller ones.
How did you get it to gel? Did you use agar or gelatin?

I tried making my own last year, using agar, but had so so results. Our very own Bob Bock has advice on this on his aquarium blog:

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=269

Hey mchambers, I grinded probably a cup worth of fish food and used two packs of Knox gelatin with hot water and blended it. Then I poured it onto plastic trays and let it cool in freezer, thaweed it and cut it to little squares and now I feed them.

How did you get it to gel? Did you use agar or gelatin?

I tried making my own last year, using agar, but had so so results. Our very own Bob Bock has advice on this on his aquarium blog:

http://www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=269

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I just bought Repashy as a way to recover powdered flake food that turns the tanks into snow globes when I feed. haven't tried it yet.

mchambers

Former CCA member
My gel food, even with agar, didn't hold together very well. It made a mess. Maybe I should have used more agar.

I find that the Repashy holds together very well. New Life Spectrum has a gel food, too, but it isn't as firm as Repashy.