• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish warts / tumor?

FishEggs

Anyone know what this is and what causes this and how to treat it if it can be? I've noticed small bulbous spots on other fishes dorsal fin too so i'm thinking it's contagious. IMG_20170111_191012.jpg IMG_20170111_191038.jpg IMG_20170111_191109.jpg

Carolineep

CCA Members
I googled fish warts and Lymphocystis kept popping up. Might be a good place to start.

Hope it is nothing to worry about.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Just some thoughts:
Take the fish out that has the large things on its tail and see if you can see that they are some sort of parasite. Try to pull one off. Parasites have only one point of attachment (the mouth) so some of what you see should come off of the fish though still be attached to the fish. If so, you could treat with saturated salt solution, I can give you my article on that treatment if you want it, or you could use any of the meds that treat for parasites.

If it is not a parasite, it is most likely just a fleshy growth that should not greatly affect the fish or it longevity even though it does not look too good. Fatty growths can be the result of a fatty diet. You could try feeding a lower protein diet. Your fish may need a higher fiber diet.

One other thought, many fish particularly swordtails and platys are quite prone to getting tumors. In fact they are studied at some research places for this reason. I guess it is possible that these growths are tumors of some type, benign or malignant. Again, I do not think they will affect the life of the fish much, though it depends on where the tumor is. Tumors in livebearers are almost always seen in the older fish, though not all get tumors.