• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

February 11th, 2017 @2pm

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Feb 11th
Dr. Stephan Tanner

300x243_Stephan_Tanner-150x150.jpg

Filtration: Obsolete common wisdom, or when science hits the foam!

The Meeting starts at 2pm. Doors open at 1.
Kennedy High School
Silver Spring MD

Bio

I have kept aquarium fish since 1982. Born in Switzerland, I set up my first fish tank at age 14, followed by a whole bunch more over the years. My fascination for nature and biology led to a B.S. degree in Ecology and Molecular Biology (1995) and a Ph.D. in Human Molecular Genetics (1998); both from the University of Bern, Switzerland. During my undergraduate years, I also worked several years for a local fish and pet shop (Spiezer Zoo, Spiez, Switzerland).
In 1992, I became a member of the International Society for Barbs, Tetras, Loaches, and Catfishes (IG BSSW). From 1994-2006, I was the editor-in-chief for its quarterly publication BSSW Report. I regularly travel to fish related events all over the United States and Europe, or to visit friends that I have made throughout the great world of fish. I am a member of the IG BSSW, American Cichlid Association, American Livebearer Association, North American Native Fishes Association, Minnesota Aquarium Society, and Columbus Area Fish Enthusiasts. Since January 2013, I am a senior editor and the translator for Reef to Rainforest Media LLC, the publisher of the famous CORAL and AMAZONAS magazines in Vermont.
Professional career

After my doctorate in 1998, I moved to Columbus, Ohio for a postdoctoral fellowship in cancer research at the Ohio State University. In the fall of 2005, I became a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics. My scientific work in human molecular genetics focused on identifying genes and pathways for acute myeloid leukemia (PNAS 2001, Vol 98), juvenile vitamin B12 malabsorption (Nature Genetics, 2003 Vol 33 & PNAS 2005, Vol 102), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CELL 2007, Vol 129), and colorectal cancer (Science 2008, Vol 321). Most recently, I had the pleasure to write a review with Prof. Ralph Gräsbeck, who described Imerslund Gräsbeck Syndrome back in 1960! How cool is that? We also published on one of the oldest human disease mutations to date (OJRD 2011). To see what else I have published, goto my Google Scholar page. Since 1998, I have published 50 peer-reviewed papers, including the results of a 12-year study on genetic vitamin B12 malabsorption.

Last edited:

mchambers

Former CCA member

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'm hoping he's willing to do a group buy. It would motivate me to set up a couple mattenfilters I've been talking about for too long.

Carolineep

CCA Members
I am looking at the matten filters for my fish room as well.

As a side note:
I just bought tetra whisper and I am not a fan of how far the thing shoots water.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Brian - If you've paid your membership dues and don't have access to the member section, please let me know and I'll see if I can get it corrected. The group buy is only open to current club members.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Reminders:

- Get your auction items registered at www.mygroupauctions.com (or preview the items already registered - there are some cool ones!)

- Contact Lisa at www.supercichlids.com about their group order

- Get registered for the SuperCichlids raffle - 3 winners will get to spin the wheel of prizes! It's going to be livestreamed on Facebook! :)

- Bring your appetites - we're going to have pizza again at the meeting. Please bring snacks, drinks and deserts if you can...

- Please renew your membership... CCA membership is and will be the key to lots of great benefits... and the club needs your support to do fun things!

- And last but not least Please register for The Big Fish Deal! It's going to be awesome: www.thebigfishdeal.com

Thanks,
Matt