• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

help with pleco's

Kareen

Members
My super red pleco's are not keeping there color. They are two years old is there a food that I can feed them to bring back there color. or whet is do this

chriscoli

Administrator
They may be fading as they age, young plecos always seem brighter to me than older ones. Or the lineage you have is not as bright as others. I've seen some super reds that looked more peach to me. Also, have you checked their lights? You may want to have them under a spectrum that maximizes their red color visually. As a last resort (IMO) you can look into food that contains additives. If you feed repashy, you can add their supplement (red rum) to the mix. Look for things that contain marigold or astaxanthin.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
It could also be their surroundings. I've seen many fish change shades due to their surroundings. When I put them against a dark background/substrate they turn a darker color, when I put them on white play sand, they bleach out.