• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello, and advice appreciated.

Carolineep

CCA Members
Good Afternoon from NO, VA.
I have been a fish lover all my life and have had many tanks throughout my life. I have a 55 community tank with pet store stock, as well as a 75 that i would love to set up as a species tank. My goal is to give back to the fishies and plan to breed endangered fish. I am a member of C.A.R.E.S. preservation group and have the most recent list they provide.

Whatever species i choose will be researched extensively to make sure i have the ability and knowledge to keep it healthy before i bring it into a home as close to its natural habitat as i can provide.
While i have had several fish breed in my tanks i have never had a species breeding tank, and to be honest i am a little overwhelmed and I welcome any advice you care to offer.
Thank you,
Caroline

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Just relax, if you provide a home as close to its natural habitat as you can, you have the hard part done. Then just feed them well without overfeeding, keep the tank clean and the water conditions good by doing weekly water changes of around 50%. I tend to do higher % water changes mainly because I feed heavily and the tanks get dirty quickly.
I find live foods is a great way to get most fish to spawn. But frozen food works too and high quality dry food works for most cichlids. If you change foods, it may take a couple days for the fish to accept it readily.

The CCA breeders award program (BAP) rewards people for getting their fish to spawn and double points for CARES fish, or maybe more points. There should be reports on BAP spawnings which you can read as a CCA member.
https://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/forums/breeders-award-program.10/

OH and welcome to CCA

dogofwar

CCA Members
CCA is a great community and participation (on the forum and in person at meetings / with members) is probably the best guarantee of success as a fishkeeper that there is.

Welcome and keep it simple :)

Matt

Carolineep

CCA Members
Thank you, for the warm welcome,
I found my way here by watching Rachel O' Leary she inspired me to work with species on the C.A.R.E.S list. She sent me a facebook invite to the C.A.R.E.S. page and while perusing that i found you guys. For better or worse now your stuck with me. ;)