• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is this bloat

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd isolate it in another tank. Looks like it's getting picked on, which causes stress. Reduce the stress and add some eposom salt...

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
I would say he's more of an aggressor but as far as adding epsom salt . ..would it be not good to add it to the community tank ....is it better to just add to a sick tank with him by himself

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd still remove him, treat with epsom salt and not feed...

I would say he's more of an aggressor but as far as adding epsom salt . ..would it be not good to add it to the community tank ....is it better to just add to a sick tank with him by himself

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Might be better to get a picture from above the tank. Bloat and dropsy are easier to ID from a top view. Both would look like the fish are blown up with air from above and dropsy also has the scales sticking out. Usually it is hard to save them. Anyhow, I'd go with what Matt said, isolate and add salt. Both of these diseases are caused by internal stuff, bacteria, I think, and require an antibiotic, like tetracycline. Look up treatments for these diseases. It might be that they would suggest a better antibiotic with better results.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
Might be better to get a picture from above the tank. Bloat and dropsy are easier to ID from a top view. Both would look like the fish are blown up with air from above and dropsy also has the scales sticking out. Usually it is hard to save them. Anyhow, I'd go with what Matt said, isolate and add salt. Both of these diseases are caused by internal stuff, bacteria, I think, and require an antibiotic, like tetracycline. Look up treatments for these diseases. It might be that they would suggest a better antibiotic with better results.
yea I have seen the above view on fish diagnosed with bloat and they really look blown up...that's why I was asking because he doesn't look like that....its really just his under belly ..hes not acting any different but it literally just looks like he has a slight belly....I have prepped the sick tank and added salt ....im going to throw him in tomorrow morning

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Could be intestinal blockage, as a guess only. Epson salts could help there. (Even panda bears get intestinal blockages as the new reports.) Lots of fish get tumors, so another guess could be a tumor. Isolation is good in case it turns out to be a parasite, like worms.

Devin Gibson

CCA Members
Could be intestinal blockage, as a guess only. Epson salts could help there. (Even panda bears get intestinal blockages as the new reports.) Lots of fish get tumors, so another guess could be a tumor. Isolation is good in case it turns out to be a parasite, like worms.
Would aquarium salt do the same.....I have the quaranteen tank set up and running for a few days...I'm going to put him in ....when I take him out just toss him back in community tank.....going from salted water to no salt ..is that a problem?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Epson salts are used for a lot of different things, but also as a laxative.

Cichlids are fairly big fish and can probably handle most changes in salinity from tank to tank. But if there is a very big concentration difference you should consider putting the fish in a container and diluting the water with an equal amount of water from the tank it is going into, wait 15 minutes and repeat, then move to the new tank. This works to adjust temperature, pH and salt content and gives the fish time to adjust its body to the new conditions.