• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Long and Shallow Tank

halak

Members
I am looking for a long and shallow tank (36" or longer) that I would make into a multiple Betta tank by gluing in plastic dividers with holes, at least this my plan. Any ideas what commercially made tank would fit this description? Thanks.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
At auctions, like the last PVAS auction, there were some specialty tanks that were only 6 inches high. You could run a divider down the middle and then section off each side to hold a bunch of bettas. You could probably see if any are available at the next auctions by checking what is to be auctioned on http://mygroupauctions.com/

The other possibility is to build your own tanks using glass and silicon glue. Busted tanks like 30 or 40 gallon tanks could supply the glass. You might be able to find some by just asking on the forum for busted tanks of the right length.

Building tanks is fairly easy. Cut the glass to the sizes you want, tape the glass to the shape you want to insure everything fits and hold in place while you glue, then glue with silicon. You can smooth any sharp edges with emery paper. I use my finger to smooth the glue against the corners and then use used plastic bags to get the glue off my fingers. You might need a pile of plastic bags depending on how many tanks you make.

chriscoli

Administrator
Josh had (has?) one that sounds similar to what you're describing. I think he said it was used originally in a store for saltwater frags. It caught my eye because I thought it would be perfect for fry.

halak

Members
Thanks for the responses. Christine, I saw those at Josh's, but at the time he said they were not for sale. By the way, this would be for my 10-year-old for Christmas or maybe for her birthday. The 33 long seems good, but I may stick to a 20 long due to space limitations in her room.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A 20L with the right (flow through) dividers could house a bunch of bettas. Maybe leave half of it for a group of female bettas?

Matt

JLW

CCA Members
The company that makes them no longer does. . . . :(

I do have available a custom tank at 36 x 12 x 12, about 25 gallons, that would work really well. They're ballpark about $100, glass. Let me know! :)

halak

Members
Now I am looking for sleeves-at least I think that's what they are called (U-shaped long plastic). I want to glue them into the tank, so that I can slide plastic dividers into the tank. Does anyone know where I could find these things?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Viktor - if you can't find a U-shaped piece to use, I've done something similar using two L-shaped pieces of plastic. I used the plastic corner guards you can pick up at Home Depot, cut them to length, and siliconed them in place. The corner guards are meant to protect drywall from getting damaged in a home. I think they cost somewhere around $5 for an 8 foot piece.