• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algae issue

dhavalsp

Members
i have recently setup this bowl about 1.5 month ago. But I am struggling to keep up with this algae problem. There are two types, one which looks like hair and the other one is the one that appears on the glass...

It is a bioorb, 8 gallon, with 5 neon tetras, 2 sae, 2 ghost shrimps... I do about 50-60 % WC in 2 weeks. I feed them 5-6 tetrabit granules in a day.

I had added one seachem rootabs when I started the tank.

It has standard lighting which came with the tank. It has dimmed out a little but seems sufficient. The tank gets some indirect sunlight in the morning say for less than an hour( it is near the window)

Any suggestions ?!

Thanks for help in advance.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like the usual problems with a fairly new set up. I am new also to planted tanks but what I have learned is to keep up the removal of the hair and spot algaes. Reduce the fertilizers a bit (50% less) until things line out. Increase the % WC up to 90% or do two WC per week until things line out. Once it looks like the algae problems are under control, ( which probably means you now have a high plant load to suck up the nutrients) you can increase the fertilizers and or change the WC schedule. But change to less ferts and more WC if you see problems.

Becca

Members
SAEs are too much for that tank, especially if they're not eating the algae. What is the small white/pink fish in the bottom right of the photo?

Also, shrimp could help, but you'd want the type that primarily eat algae. Amano shrimp would do a bang-up job.

dhavalsp

Members
Frank, let me try that 2 70% WC a week. i am not adding nw ferts for now.

Becca, thats the albino SAE. i will post a pic.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I say the water changes are the issue. Even with that small amount of fish, the bioload over two weeks would be enough to feed the plants and algae. I would do 2 water changes per week and then keep up with a water change per week. Two weeks is too far apart.

dhavalsp

Members
i think there were multiple issues...corrected one at a time....
1. Water changes - 1 per week.
2. lighting, this happened automatically, the reefone bulb gave up, got an LED, 6000K, keep it on for 3 hours in the eveing, the tank sits near the window, east facing, so morning sun does the trick..
3. feeding, has been moderate.

Algae has almost disappeared, SAE have started doing their job finally! I see some on the glass but I am going to let the fish do the cleaning...

It's not unusual in a planted tank to have to clean the glass with that hard green algae. The hair algae is the bigger problem. You will have to remove it by hand. I personally think your issue is the sunlight. I've always had algae problems in tanks that got light through the window. If you're happy now, that's fine. If you have issues again, I'd suggest moving away from the window and use the lamp for more than 3 hours a day. Tje SAEs are not appropriate in this set up IMHO

dhavalsp

Members
Thanks Holly!

at the moment I am satisfied with the setup...the idea is to keep it shrimp only tank when the time comes...

SAE are small, about an inch guess...they will be moved to my larger tank as soon as they hit about 2 inches..i am also moving some plants over there too...

alpha1172

Green spot algae, lower lighting/ up phosphates.

Not hair but staghorn algae generally a results of a dirty/ high organic tank. Also caused by a sudden ammonia spike. Spot treat with H202, or excel.