• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeding Young Fry

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I've got Jack Dempsey fry that are about 1 month old. I want to buy some golden pearls, but I don't know what size to buy. The fish are about 1/4 of an inch right now, heading towards 1/2 inch. Any suggestions of size? Anyone here sell golden pearls?

zendog

I haven't raised Dempsey fry, but can share my experience feeding golden pearls. When I purchased the ones I'm using now I bought 3 sizes: 5-50 microns, 50-100 and 200-300. The 5-50 is basically very fine dust and although I've used it with some Electric Blue Acara wigglers and Apistos, I think it is probably too small for most cichlid fry. The 50-100 worked for very young EBA and Calvus fry, although the Calvus were bigger (which surprised me) and probably would have been fine going right to 100-200, but I didn't have that. After a little more than a week I've moved the Calvus (maybe 1/3 inch) up to the 200-300 which they have no problem with. I'm pretty sure I bought it from Kens Fish, but other mail order places sell it as well. I expect your Dempsey fry would be fine with the 200-300, but probably a size up or so would be better.

To do it again, I'd probably skip the 5-50 and get 50-100, 200-300 and maybe 500-800.