• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The unappreciated dwarf cichlid

Aqua410

Members
A few more awesome smaller new worlds that don't get mentioned often are cryptoheros nanoluteus and panamensis. Really all of the cryptoheros genus are beatiful and bold little fish. I have the two species I mentioned and they're some of my favorites. I currently have 6 nanos and 5 panamensis each group in its own 55 gallon but I will be combining he two groups this week and passing a few of them off to Matt to shrink my group down. Once they get a bit bigger I will try to keep about 6-8 adults in a 75 with some dithers but they really don't seem aggressive other than some chasing around. I'll get some pictures up soon but google panamensis they are some of the prettiest new worlds in my opinion.

I have three species of Cryptoheros: panamensis, nanoleutus and sajica. They are not dwarf but convict size cichlid that can reach 5-6 inch in male. They form strong bond and is fascinating to watch them pair up to defend against much bigger fish.

I have this aging pair of panamensis bonded for 5+ years since fry and probably forever till one dies.

A young pair of my nanoleutus were guarding fry and showed no fear of pounding much larger tankmates.

The benefit of keeping small CA/SA is that you don't need huge tanks to keep bonded pairs and watch their interesting behavior. My tanks are only 75 to 125 gal.

the curviceps are doing great. I still have all six and there appears to be no fighting and no real pairing off. There are three boys and they each seem to have a "territory." it's a small tank, so I"m vigilant for when things might go south, but not yet!