• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The start of the fish room remodel.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Keep going. If you were close to Bowie I'd consider coming out to help for a day. I'm fairly handy, own many tools (my wife groans every time I walk into a home improvement store...too many shiny things...) and have remodeled lots of stuff.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
BTW, if you put vapor barrier up, the insulation that you have will be sufficient. It's a small room. You will notice a big difference. But I DEFINITELY would put green board up in that case. You're sealing up all of the areas for moisture to go. Might also be beneficial to add a ceiling vent like what they have in bathrooms if possible. Would help remove moisture when needed. EDIT: After further inspection of the pics, it looks like you already have some type of ventilation system. Make sure that is up to snuff while you have everything apart.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yeah, the fan was set to come on several times a day to suck the air out. I also had a dehumidifier in the room that
ran all year.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I thought I was ready to put the ceiling vapor barrier up last week and then rock.
I changed my mind and picked up some can lights for the ceiling to get rid of the shop lights that hung there
before. So last weekend it was remove insulation, remove old wiring, hang new lights, rewire the room to have
6 cans on switch and 1 can on as night light. Then I reassembled everything. LOL
Nothing like adding more work to it.
I hope to start hanging some rock tomorrow if I have time. I am off the next couple days. We will see.
Planning on renting the lift for the sheetrock so I can do it by myself.
Picked up 1/2 of the rock the other day. Will get that up and then pick up more.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Good idea with recessed lighting. It will be very nice. Probably wouldn't hurt to GFI protect that circuit through a GFI outlet. This would ensure that if moisture gets into those lights it doesn't cause a problem. It's a $15-20 insurance policy, especially in a basement fish room.

I was going to suggest rewiring and running new outlets while you have it all down, but you are already thinking like me in a lot of ways. The lift is a stellar idea. Saves having to have 2-3 people holding a piece in place.

With the sheet rock, measure twice, cut once, especially with that recessed lighting. The vapor barrier can be stretched a little, but depending on the mil you get, it may not give as much as you think. I used a T50 stapler and a pneumatic stapler to put mine up. The holes in the sheet rock need to be spot on or the pod light covers may not hide your potential mess ups. Been there, wasted sheet rock on that.

Anyway, I'll be here to keep you on track. If you have questions or want to bounce ideas, I'll be monitoring throughout the day.

Cory

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
LOL
Yeah I got the lights what were rated for indoor or outdoor use for the moisture as well as rated to go with insulation.
The vapor barrier is up except where the fan is. I need to take it down to put it and the rock up.
As for the cans and rock, yeah, done that too. lol The plan is to measure and screw around sides, Then with the jack still holding I will buzz around them with the dermal so they should be right or close. A little mud may have to be used to fix. LOL I hate that part.

As for the rest of the electrical, there are 4 circuits running into the room. I had 2 until last year and I added two more. 1 is dedicated to the heater for the room. Plus I am gradually switching to led so that will help there.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Oh, while I did wire everything my self, if I do run into an electrical problem..... Did I mention my son is an electrician?
Funny thing is he lives a mile from me and always asks what he can help with and I still do it myself. Just stubborn I guess. LOL

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
My remodel in the family room some years back.
DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Oh my. Thats a dirty face. You need to learn to wet sand my friend. Or learn how to putty better so you don't have to sand so much!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
By the way, my father does the same thing, so I understand. I used to work as a service advisor in a dealership and I saw 70-80 cars a day and knew how to fix/diagnose all of their problems, including a lot of brands we didn't carry. He still had a hard time calling me up for advice. He did warm up to it after a while.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
just a quick update.
too much going on in my life. LOL
Working on 2nd coat of mud for sheetrock. That takes me a long time.
ordered the rest of my bulkheads today.
Plus a few other items.
Will order my filter in the next day or so.

One of my racks has changed design in my head. More on that later, once I decide which way its going.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Sounds like you got a bit done especially considering that you made it to the Clash last weekend!
yeah, but not enough.
Going to get cold soon.
Once I get the rock done, it should move a lot faster. Well, I hope.
At this rate it wont be done for the BFD. LOL

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
It'll be done, just keep doing a little bit at a time. My least favorite part is paint. I would mud all day before I paint. I don't know what my aversion is to it, but I can't stand it.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Well, rock work is finally done.
2 coats of primer on the walls and ceiling.
2 coats of ceiling white on ceiling.
Light trim finished.
Hope to get first coat of wall color on tonight.
It is so bright in there right now. LOL Wont be that bright
when the dark blue goes on the walls.

After that will come the start of the air line. Hoping this weekend.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yup. Sounds good. This is useless without some pics though. It's nice to look back at each step. Take us some photos!