• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Suggestions on a Species to Keep with Phenochilus?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Unfortunately, I came home last night to find my female aulonocara ethelwynnae had died. It is kind of a mystery, as it didn't look like it was from aggression and the fish is only a couple of years old. While I do have a batch of fry growing out, it will be a good while until they are breeding size and able to be added back to the tank with their father. I figure this may be a good opportunity to work with the tank space and another species.

The tank is a standard 55 gallon tank and currently has my breeding group of placidochromis phenochilus (1M, 4F). Any good suggestions for a relatively peaceful species that I could add to the tank that would have a good chance of breeding and not bully the phenos?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Maybe one of the Lethrinops. Phenos need to be the dominant fish or they won't breed, in my experience.

Reed

Very Fishe
I have Frontosas currently with my phenos. Both groups are young and are about to 3-5" and getting along fine. You could also mix a less aggressive peacock like a sunshine or ruby red that are not blue etc .. Just some thoughts

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'll have to look at the lethrinops. I was also looking at otopharynx.

I don't think frontosa would work out for me, as long term they'd need a tank much larger than a 55, and I don't have a bigger tank available later on.

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else had luck with tankmates for phenos?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Otopharynx would work as well.

Fronts really need a 180+ but you could grow some out with them. Another choice would be some Saratherodon linnelli / carolli...

A really bad combination is shellies and Placidochromis. I did it unintentionally back in the day (I removed a group of multi's but their fry remained...grew out...bred and cover the entire floor of the tank..)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had not considered a Lake Barombi Mbo species. I've always liked the pungu maclareni. How would they be? Do you still have yours, dogofwar dogofwar ?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that the Pungu would do well with them. I still have 2 (a male and female I think). For Pungu to breed, they need to be quite warm (or so I'm told) but the personality is right and they're quite flexible with regard to water conditions.

Matt

I had not considered a Lake Barombi Mbo species. I've always liked the pungu maclareni. How would they be? Do you still have yours, dogofwar dogofwar ?