• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

You're a SERIOUS wierdo...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Are you a serious aquarist?

You know- a hardcore, not-afraid-of-getting-your hands-wet type? I thought so. I mean, of course you are! You must be a nervous wreck! You've literally got water on the brain! I know you do. It's funny how we often hear of the "therapeutic" value of aquarium keeping: It's stimulating, relaxing, intellectual, etc. "Good for the mind, good for the soul" blah, blah, blah. However, I sense a disconnect. Are we talking about AQUARIUM KEEPING, or AQUARIUM VIEWING? There's a difference, right?

You bet!

IMG_1087_e9f202f5-75d5-444f-89ff-48004fd28b8d_large.JPG

(Do you really think he ever relaxes in front of his aquascape?)

Let's try be honest with ourselves: Is a real hobbyist ever truly "relaxed?" Even the hobbyist with the most high-tech, automated aquarium is going to be preoccupied and occasionally freaked out by his or her tank, with millions of little concerns buzzing around in the deep recesses of the mind: "Why weren't the Tetras swimming left-to-right today? Did the rise in nitrate from 'undetectable' to 0.5ppm signify impending disaster? What was that little band of mineral deposit around the base of my filter caused by condensation-or a leak?"

SSuiteAccelWin81_large.png

I present my hypothesis that a SERIOUS aquarist is never really completely relaxed! We always have something in the back of our minds eating at us: maybe it's concern over some changing parameter, frustration with the way the tank looks, the fact that you KNOW that you SHOULD have used a ball valve in that return feed line but didn't, etc. You know what I mean, right? Right now, you're thinking about the Apisto that's showing was too much interest in your Crystal Red Shrimp. (click to read more)