• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Keyhole breaking my heart

Ah, one of my sweet keyholes is apparently dying. His/her mate is keeping vigil. This is breaking my heart. I'll probably pull him/her and euthanize. I always hate watching them die. I don't think it's anything I can cure. The fish looks fine. I"ve had them for quite some time ,so I'd guess just old age . . :-(

Anyone have any keyholes in the club?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Holly, I still have two pairs. Every once in a while, they lay eggs, but the eggs quickly disappear. I've tried pulling the eggs, but that hasn't worked, either.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Despite keeping them on and off since the '80s I don't think I've ever successfully raised fry from Keyholes. I've had plenty of them spawn...even guard eggs and hatch...just never raise them successfully. They're very shy, which could be an issue. I guess next time I keep them I need to siphon out some wigglers!

Matt

I pulled the one and euthanized. The other one is now very depressed. Anyone have a single keyhole that could use a friend? aMine only laid eggs once and none hatched. I do like them, though. Very calm and sweet. Christine -- you have a small group of babies I can buy?

I also have a single silver hatchet. He either needs to go to someone with a group or I need to find some friends for him.

chriscoli

Administrator
I only have the 4 that are growing out. I'll keep an eye out for eggs if they do spawn, I think they're approaching the right size.