• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

sump size

Kareen

Members
Need a sump for a 125 with two overflows I was thinking a 30L would make a good wet/dry sump or should I go biger Thanks for any info

JLW

CCA Members
The sump size is really a function of two things. One, will it hold and catch enough water during a power failure to support it, while holding enough water normally to flow without constant top off. If your water level is a quarter inch above your pump, and anything higher causes a flood, you've got a problem. :)

Two, is it large enough to fit, comfortably, all the necessary equipment to run the tank -- your heater, any reactors, sterilizers, skimmers, etc. you may want to put in there, possibly a refugium, biological sections, etc.

These two factors give you the minimum size you can put on the tank. If it can hold everything, and your water level is adequate for good filtration (although an ATO is a good idea, period), your sump is good. Anything larger just gives you more water in the system, more margin for error, and -- in a freshwater tank -- more time between topoffs. :)

Aqua410

Members
Can't say for sure but if you have room for a 55 they're on sale for $55 at the moment lol. If not I have an almost new 30 long for sale as well. 30L seems to be hard to find other than the ones made by "Deep Blue" I haven't seen any around locally for cheaper brands. Mine was $60 new so a little more then the 55. Keep in mind with the longer/larger sump you'll need more water volume to achieve the same depth as with a smaller tank of course. Josh's advice is spot on about depth, you won't want to have to fill it all the time or risk your pump sucking air/running dry. Not to mention no return flow to the tank! I have a 20 long as my sump under my 75 and it's set up as a wet/dry so the only function of the sump itself is to catch the water coming out of the trickle tower and house the return pump and heater.

Hawkman2000

Members
Could you fit a 40b under it?

I was also thinking that one of the new 38s would make a good sump. Dont think they are 1$ per gallon though.

Kareen

Members
I only have 16"w under my tank right now I have 2 Marineland Tidepool 2 one for each overflow they hold 15gl each and my pump sets 4" down in the middle and is a pain to work on. This is way Im looking to set up something so I can put my pump in the sump.