• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Missing fry from a breeder box?

Freakgecko

Members
Hey all, I recently moved some free swimming Uaru fry to a marina breeder box. Initially moved 30. Then there was 20. Now there’s 5. No bodies. Instead of the normal outflow cover, I have a piece of filter sponge (I lost the two little covers somehow). Can’t imagine 25 of them slipping through the maze work that is sponge. Any ideas or similar experiences? Super disappointed losing that many fry. Should I just set up a 5.5 or 10 next go around?

Becca

Members
Flowing out the back or over the front. Sponge doesn't work well because it blocks up easily.

I personally prefer Ziss breeder boxes and if you want to borrow one, LMK. I'll need it back because they're super tough to come by. I also have a couple magnetic ones you could check out.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Look for jumpers, but you might not be able to tell the difference from an escape, other than a wet floor.

I'd normally suspect cannibalism, but I don't think Uaru are really known for that.

I'm assuming the sponge is snug, but its also flexible, could be possible they slipped past or under. What size were they?

Freakgecko

Members
Look for jumpers, but you might not be able to tell the difference from an escape, other than a wet floor.

I'd normally suspect cannibalism, but I don't think Uaru are really known for that.

I'm assuming the sponge is snug, but its also flexible, could be possible they slipped past or under. What size were they?
Freshly free swimming. Tiny. Also the box has a lid on it. Sponge is quite snug, no way they fit under and against the side. Cut it to fit

mchambers

Former CCA member
I recently had about 15 corydoras fry in a breeder box. The outflow screen was in place, but somehow 4 of the fry got back into the tank.

JLW

CCA Members
Not only is it possible that you're losing them to overflow, but... once they're dead, they can decompose QUICK. You could be simply not finding the bodies in there.

Uaru are slime-coat feeders: why did you choose to separate them?

Freakgecko

Members
Not only is it possible that you're losing them to overflow, but... once they're dead, they can decompose QUICK. You could be simply not finding the bodies in there.

Uaru are slime-coat feeders: why did you choose to separate them?
It’s a 180 gallon with a myriad of fry-stealers. The hoplo cats get WAY too curious.

Things were going well for the first few days except that they kept disappearing. I’m almost positive it’s from the overflow, may need to put a finer sponge in there. May let them try and raise the next batch. They spawned in a perfect spot in the corner by the overflow of the tank, however, they started to try and take the fry on a field trip so I pulled them before they tried. Honestly I did not observe any slime coat feeding prior to me pulling them. Behaved like any other cichlid fry cloud really

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Would be interesting to see if the parents could raise a few even with the opportunists. Sounds like setting up a growout tank is the way to go if you are looking to maximize survivors.

Freakgecko

Members
Would be interesting to see if the parents could raise a few even with the opportunists. Sounds like setting up a growout tank is the way to go if you are looking to maximize survivors.
Yeah, this was a small first spawn, only about 30-35. Next one I plan on pulling half and letting them keep the other half, given it’s a larger spawn. These two have been paired up for a bit now but this was the first time I ever saw fry