• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Internal Parasites?

zackcrack00

Members
Just in this past week, I have noticed changes in at least a few fish in every one of my four tanks. Three of the four tanks have only mollies, while the other tank has wild and tank-bred mollies, angels, and some rainwater killies. The mollies seem to be the only fish affected.

In one tank stocked with only mollies, I did an 80% or so water change (per the usual, so nothing out of the ordinary) and about half of the fish in the tank started to 'shimmy' and become very lethargic, clamping their fins against their bodies. The next morning, half of the fish had passed. In the few days since then, there are three fish left in the tank, and all are shimmying with clamped fins.

In the other three tanks, no fish have been lost as of yet, and only a few fish in each tank visibly appear to be shimmying. Most fish are swimming with clamped fins, and a few are even appear emaciated. Though, I see them eat every day, just as much as they should.

All tanks are moderately planted, 79-82 F, nitrates never greater than 40-50, and 0 ammonia and nitrites.

I haven't dealt with anything like this in quite some time, and after doing lots of research, I was thinking the culprit may be some type(s) of internal parasite(s)? I'm planning to treat with Prazi-Pro, but the real head-scratcher is what caused the mollies in all of my tanks to become stressed to the point of being susceptible to an illness, all within one week?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Are you on city water or well water? If the symptoms occurred shortly after a water change, and you haven't added any new fish to the tanks, I would check to see if there is something different about your tap water.

zackcrack00

Members
Are you on city water or well water? If the symptoms occurred shortly after a water change, and you haven't added any new fish to the tanks, I would check to see if there is something different about your tap water.

I’m on a well. I think this could be it. I think the pH from the Well was 7.4-7.8 last time I checked about a month ago, I’ll check again.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
try this website: http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/

I put in clamped fins, eating well but skinny, and fish do swinging motions under the behavior category and got mainly hits on parasites. I'd use Goat dewormer at one drop per gallon.

Mollies need salt in their water, they are actually brackish water fish though people often try to keep them in the same water they keep other tropicals in.

zackcrack00

Members
try this website: http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/

I put in clamped fins, eating well but skinny, and fish do swinging motions under the behavior category and got mainly hits on parasites. I'd use Goat dewormer at one drop per gallon.

Mollies need salt in their water, they are actually brackish water fish though people often try to keep them in the same water they keep other tropicals in.

Thanks for the resource! How much salt? Will the added salt affect the plants?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Brackish water - Wikipedia. zMollies are brackish water fish which means they can be found in fresh water to water that is as salty as sea water. They will live but not thrive in fresh water.

IT depends on the plant how much salt it can tolerate but most can tolerate some salt. But when adding salt do it gradually.

Probably a teaspoon per gallon would work for mollies and plants. If you have hard water you may already have enough salts.