• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Red Devil owner

Scraps

Super Genius
Staff member
hello all! I had a great time meeting many of you this summer at the picnic. Sorry I haven't been able to get to any meetings. It always seems to fall on already full weekends. I'd like to be able to attend another meeting or get together except it's hard to know about them with this forum feeds. It's not always easy to follow and get updates. Is there a better way to get meeting updates maybe email invites?
I do have another question. I think I may have found a male Red Devil. I am going to see him tomorrow. His owner says he has never laid eggs so given his age and size, he is confident it's a male. I know that most on this group are not Devil owners but I am wondering if any of you have introduced large olde fish to a large breeding age female? What to expect? Did you have a period of fighting or not? Also was wondering if anyone has a tank divider for a 65 gallon tank size 17x 20".

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Kim:

Our meetings are almost always the 2nd Saturday of the month, and I can only remember one or two occasions when they when they moved because of conflicts with the meeting location.

With respect to your question about red devils, introducing large, aggressive fish to one another is always risky. If you are just looking to introduce the two fish in a tank together, I would 100% use a divider. Let them get used to each other for weeks, if not longer, before pulling the divider. If there is a size disparity, you can always try a divider that has a hole in it that only the smaller fish can fit through, but that only works if one is significantly bigger than the other.

I learned the hard way. I had a trio of citrenellum living in a tank in harmony for over a year. The tank sprung a leak and I was forced to separate the fish into separate tanks until I could get a new tank. After about 6 weeks, I had a new, bigger tank all set up. I put the three fish back in together at the same time, and literally in the first 30 minutes, the male shredded both females.

As for a divider, just go to Home Depot and pick up some egg crate from the lighting section (probably $25 for a 2'x4' piece). You can use snips to cut the egg crate to size.

Scraps

Super Genius
Staff member
Kim:

Our meetings are almost always the 2nd Saturday of the month, and I can only remember one or two occasions when they when they moved because of conflicts with the meeting location.

With respect to your question about red devils, introducing large, aggressive fish to one another is always risky. If you are just looking to introduce the two fish in a tank together, I would 100% use a divider. Let them get used to each other for weeks, if not longer, before pulling the divider. If there is a size disparity, you can always try a divider that has a hole in it that only the smaller fish can fit through, but that only works if one is significantly bigger than the other.

I learned the hard way. I had a trio of citrenellum living in a tank in harmony for over a year. The tank sprung a leak and I was forced to separate the fish into separate tanks until I could get a new tank. After about 6 weeks, I had a new, bigger tank all set up. I put the three fish back in together at the same time, and literally in the first 30 minutes, the male shredded both females.

As for a divider, just go to Home Depot and pick up some egg crate from the lighting section (probably $25 for a 2'x4' piece). You can use snips to cut the egg crate to size.
Thank you!