• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New...to the forum

littlen

CCA Members
Hello folks,

Not new to the hobby, but back into the cichlid game. Just another case of a guy who grew up helping his father clean the fishroom and feed from the time I could stand. The last several years I've only had a tank or two. I was once a CCA member and found the forum after switching gears from N.A. natives to C.A. cichlids recently. I am a member of the North American Native Fishes Association with the same username.

I started my professional career with fish working at a tropical fish wholesaler in Nova (G&G, anyone?!), and once I got to college, worked several years at the Virginia Living Museum in both the Herp and Aquarium departments. That's where my passion for native fish (both FW and marine) started. After college, I returned to the area and began a career at the National Aquarium--D.C. venue. Maybe you didn't even know it existed? There, I oversaw the FW Native Fishes gallery. Surprised? That closed in the fall of 2013. My next and current position is at the National Zoo. My first few years were spent at Amazonia where I helped them grow the collection to what it is now. About a year ago, I switched to the LSS unit so that I could grow my understanding of large-scale filtration.

Until last month, I kept a 150 stream tank featuring native inhabitants from primarily the Clinch River, (VA). I am a huge darter (Etheostoma sp.) fan and was reluctant to break down the tank but had to give up space in the living room to make room for a growing collection of my children's toys and a growing family. I am a new world fish guy overall.

Last year I picked up a trio of Vieja melanura (1.2) as well as a trio of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis (2.1). The male Vieja runs the show and I gave the 2 females to my dad to grow a little larger. He is ready to breed and they are not. The ladies are ~6" and he's already pushing 10". I will attempt to pair them once the ladies get some additional size. A pair of Nics got cozy with one another early on and both bullied the submissive male. He won't be joining the crew again. By my estimates, all 6 fish are about a year old now. They are currently in a 125 while I drill/plumb & set up the 150 w/ a 30 gallon sump. In the meanwhile, I've got a trio of Thorichthys aureus and a handful of Neon swords in QX to add to the 150 once it is completed.

That's my story. Looking forward to chatting with you fine folks.

Nick

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Nice looking melanurum. I've got a pair (with the male about the same size) that have been cleaning rocks and moving sand around for months, but no spawning action as of yet.

littlen

CCA Members
Thanks.

After every W/C he gets fired up and wants to spawn, relentlessly chasing the females. He almost killed one a few months back. That prompted the separation until further notice.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Wow! You're my hero, working at the National Aquarium (yes, I remember it -- it was covered in the Post this weekend) and now the Zoo.

littlen

CCA Members
Appreciate it, mchambers. I’m just a guy lucky enough to make a career out of what most everyone on this forum is passionate about.

I haven’t been by the new location since they left Lorton and were sold to 5D but loved being able to get fish and animal supplies wholesale!

Thai

Members
Appreciate it, mchambers. I’m just a guy lucky enough to make a career out of what most everyone on this forum is passionate about.

I haven’t been by the new location since they left Lorton and were sold to 5D but loved being able to get fish and animal supplies wholesale!
Lol who doesn’t hahahah