• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Heaters

captmicha

Members
I need heaters. Particularly for 10 gallons and 55 gallons. But also other sizes.

I prefer used due to lower price. Thanks.

FishEggs

That would be a good initial test to see if they're working properly but heaters are generally ticking time bombs.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Even new ones?

What's the alternative besides keeping all my tanks at the same temp with a room heater?
I use heaters on only a few tanks, those with fish that really don’t do well in cool temps. My basement gets down to 70 or so in the depths of winter. Most of my fish are fine with that, but the Biotodoma cupido and Angels need it warmer, so I use heaters on their tanks.

captmicha

Members
I use heaters on only a few tanks, those with fish that really don’t do well in cool temps. My basement gets down to 70 or so in the depths of winter. Most of my fish are fine with that, but the Biotodoma cupido and Angels need it warmer, so I use heaters on their tanks.
Will that keep South American species wanting to spawn?

My basement actually gets pretty warm in winter. Would be cool to save some $ where possible.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Will that keep South American species wanting to spawn?

My basement actually gets pretty warm in winter. Would be cool to save some $ where possible.
For some South American fish, yes. For example, fish from Uruguay typically need a cool period to spawn. In general, my Corydoras spawn more when it’s cooler, but there are exceptions to that.

There are other South American fish that would not be happy at 70, however.