• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bearded dragon breeders?

spazmattik

Members
Hey everyone!

It has been so long since I posted and now of all things, I am not posting about fish!

I have been doing a good amount of research on bearded dragons lately and have decided that I would like to get one or two... I did not have much interest in them before but while showing my cousin tegu and monitor videos on youtube, I found out there is all kinds of color morphs of beardies. This definitely peaked my interest as all I remember from a long time ago was the normal sandy colored ones.

I know there are some reptile keepers on here, so does anyone breed any of these color morphs or know some good affordable sources for any of these? I know a rescue should be the first thing I consider and I have already had this option thrown at me but after hearing stories about rescues (temperments) and the fact that these are probably all normal beardies from petsmart, it is not the route I want to go.

Becca

Members
I used to.

Sunfire Dragon Ranch is a fairly reputable breeder and they're usually at the AAA reptile show in Timonium each year (at least they were, back in the day).

I'd advise you to check with local shelters. I know the Montgomery County, MD shelter had a nice beardie recently. I also just helped a friend rehome one.

Overall, they're pretty healthy and easy to keep that way, provided you give them proper vitamin supplements, meet their dietary needs (fresh veggies with some insect protein), and include UV lighting along with a heat lamp.

I will note that, in my experience, the color morphs are not always as robust as the standard dragons. They often don't grow as large and sometimes have health problems. I had a high-red that I fought a pricey losing battle to save - she couldn't properly absorb Vitamin C.

Females will lay eggs regardless of whether they are bred and you'll need to be aware of their specific needs around this time for additional cover and nutritional support (many become a bit anorexic prior to depositing their clutch). If you have a male and a female, they will breed and you will get eggs. Whether you get an incubator and hatch them is up to you. Repeated or frequent breedings are not good for females, though.

spazmattik

Members
unfortunately not Matt, my aunt will be in town. I will renew my membership soon and try to make the next meeting though! It would be great to see everyone.